Chapter Four

I stared at the girl who was sitting at the other end of the classroom. I admit, if she hadn't ditched me all those years ago, I would probably be talking right now. Or, the fact that she had a sad smile plastered on her face.

I ignored her, staring at the table I was sitting at. I heard a chair scrape across the floor and soft footsteps following. They got closer . . . I looked up. Astrid was sat on the table in front of me, her feet resting on a chair.

"Come on Harry, why aren't you speaking to me?" I stared at her.

"I don't know, maybe because we haven't talked in two years?" I said through gritted teeth. My voice was so full of sarcasm that Astrid narrowed her eyes at me.

"We're best friends, Harry!"

"Were best friends," I corrected.

Astrid's head tilted. "What do you mean?"

I sighed heavily. "If you don't know then I'm not going to bother explaining it." I shook my head, dropping this conversation. It would have made matters worse if I had continued.

I'm pretty angry right now. I just can't believe Astrid doesn't remember what she did. I didn't do anything, it was all her doing. She left me for the jerks. But, I used to wonder, what if my cousin and the Twins never moved to Berk? I mean, if they didn't, what would Astrid do?

Would she leave or stay?

"I had no choice . . . "

My head snapped up. "What?"

"I had no choice," Astrid repeated quietly.

That makes no sense. What was the choice to begin with?

Astrid bit her lip. "It wasn't my fault."

I shot to my feet, my ears red with anger. "It wasn't your fault?" I repeated. I slammed my fist on the table. "Don't you dare say that Astrid. It was and is your fault. You left me. You left Flynn. You ditched us!"

I began pacing, running my hand aggressively through my hair. I needed to calm down. I took deep breaths, sitting on a corner of a table.

"I - I'm sorry for shouting."

Astrid shook her head. "No, you're right. It is my fault." She stood and slumped down on the chair, her back facing me.

I had froze. I wasn't expecting her to agree with me. Does - does this mean we'll be OK?

"No, no, no," I said quickly. "It isn't your fault, I was just over reacting." Astrid didn't reply, she huffed, crossing her arms.

I just wanted to ask her one thing. I went over, sitting on the desk in front of her. I leaned down. "Why, Astrid?"

She looked angry. I repeated my question. "I - I had no choice."

"So you ditched us, because you had no choice?" I decided to listen this time and not get angry.

Astrid nodded, fiddling with the hem of her shirt. "You would have been hurt . . . " That took me off guard.

"Hurt?" I hissed. "By who?"

Astrid shrugged innocently. "I don't know. One day a private number rang my phone and I decided to answer. The voice had obviously been modified. They explained if I didn't stay away, they would have - " Astrid stopped, shaking her head.

I placed my hands on her table. "What Astrid? Tell me!"

"They - they would have killed you, Harry . . . "

Who wants me dead? They would've killed me? By Astrid's expression, I knew she was telling me the truth.

"We need to go," I said, grabbing my bag, "now."

It was lucky that our hour only just finished.

"Come on Astrid." She didn't move. She stared down at the floor. "Astrid let's go."

"I - I can't. Your Father, he doesn't like me.

"Of course he - " I stopped myself. My Father doesn't even know Astrid. They met a couple of times but never talked. "It doesn't matter. He has to listen."

Astrid ran out the school, me hot on her heels. We sprinted as fast as we could, deciding to catch a bus the rest of the way.

I wheezed as I slumped into a seat. Me and Astrid exchanged looks. My Father had to listen, he had to.

About ten minutes later, we had stopped outside my front door. Astrid nodded as I hastily opened the door. We walked inside, slamming it shut.

What if he wasn't in, Astrid would have to wait with me.

"Dad?" I called, strolling into the kitchen.

Empty. So was the living room, the basement and his bedroom. Where is he?

"Harry! You better come here!" Astrid shouted. I followed the sound of her voice. She was in my bedroom.

My eyes widened as I rushed to pick up my dirty clothes and shove them into the basket. I gulped, rubbing my neck as I placed myself beside her.

She was holding a note in her hand. Astrid passed it to me and my eyes skimmed over it.

Son, I've left for a business trip and won't be back for a few months. At least two. There's enough food to keep you going for a couple of days but, after that, you'll have to stay at a friend's house.

Ask Flynn.

I'll be back before you know it.

From, your Father.

P.S I found about your detention. I've taken your phone with me.

I groaned miserably. I am in major trouble.

Astrid opened her mouth but I didn't hear anything. I zoned her out as I slid down to the floor, clutching my head in my hands.

"I better call Flynn," I finally said, after a few desperate minutes. Well, I had nowhere else to stay. I got up and turned to go. But Astrid seized my wrist before I could move.

"You - you can stay with me, if you want?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Seriously? Me? At your house?"

Astrid shrugged. "You've slept round before."

I narrowed my eyes. "That doesn't count." The wrist that she was holding started to tingle. Sparks were shooting up my arm, heading in the direction of my heart.

I sighed heavily. "Fine. But one night only." Astrid grinned, releasing my wrist. "Just let me pack."

This was going to be a long night, and it definitely was . . .