Insane Doesn't Even Begin to Cover It... Chapter 22

Much to my displeasure, the day finally comes when I have to meet with that woman, Ms. Johnson. Our appointment was set up for 3 in the afternoon, and it didn’t have a set end time. None of my appointments ever have an end time.

The appointment was in a room I’ve never been in before, on the bottom level of the building. It was in one of the wings I’ve never been down before, for no apparent reason. I usually explore the building in my spare time, just looking for things I haven’t found yet.

When I was notified as to where the appointment was to be at, I was surprised. Office number 66? On the bottom level? The levels go up as you go up the floors, so most of the offices on the bottom level were in the 1-10 range…

So where in the world was this #66? I contemplate this to myself as I get dressed in the usual hospital wear, plain sweatpants and a white t-shirt, keeping my feet bare.

I go down the stairs to the first floor, passing by a few doctors and patients on the way. No one ever acknowledges anyone else in this place… the doctors and patients are on a separate social status. If you don’t do anything to them, they won’t do anything to you… or well that’s generally how its supposed to work.

But you do get those few doctors who just want to fuck around with the patients, taking them in for random surgeries and examinations and such. Basically treating us just like lab rats, to do with as they please. It’s horrible.

I’ve had it done to me a few times, with some of the newer, younger doctors and nurses that are brought in. They’re just out of college and think they know everything about what’s wrong with someone, that they know how to fix it.

Well, they’re wrong 99% of the time. But even so, they don’t get fired… I think the owner of this place has a sick mind… keeping people like that on the staff.

I hope this woman isn’t like any of those… I don’t want to have to go through that anymore. It’s been a while since the last time that happened. And if she’s just like one of those… then I’m just going to get her off of my case and on someone else’s, as bad as that sounds. You need to do what you can to survive in this place, if you know how.

Once I’m on the first floor, I start looking around for the office. I go down the main office hallway, where the head doctor’s office is and such… but it’s not down there. And after about 30 minutes of pointlessly wandering around, I’m almost ready to just give up and go back to the room.

That’s just what I’m about to do when I see Ms. Johnson walking towards me, smiling for whatever reason. I thought she’d be pissed that I wasn’t there on time or something. These doctors seem to have freakishly short fuses.

“Ahh Senna there you are! Why weren’t you there on time?” She asks, and I look at her, then look around and shrug. “Oh! I get it. You couldn’t find it?”

I nod in response.

“I’m sorry about that. I couldn’t find it at first either, I just got situated this morning. Apparently this office is in a hallway that connects to the second floor by a set of stairs. So, technically, it’s on the second floor not the first!” She says, “Follow me.” And walks off. I hesitate for a second then start following her, up the stairs I had just come down and down the hallway, away from where Griffin’s office was. We reach a door that’s unlabeled and she pulls it open. I peer through, and she lets me. I see that there’s a set of dimly lit stairs leading down into a little hallway, and I can’t see any more after that.

I hesitate more, standing up straight and looking at her, biting my lip.

“Oh I know it’s a little creepy, isn’t it? I’m going to get that fixed, the lights are just dreadful…” She starts walking down first and I follow her slowly, and the door slams shut behind me, which makes me jump.

By the time I’m halfway down the stairs, she’s already disappeared from view and I hurry to catch up, just incase there’s more branching turns and things. But no, when I get down to the foot of the stairs I see that it’s just a short hallway leading to a wide open space.

There isn’t a door or anything to the office, just an open doorway. And the office is big, big enough for 3 bookcases and a huge desk and a small seating area with a tv… and what looks like a tiny kitchen area.

“I’m so surprised they put me in here, there’s all that I need to live here. In fact, they’re paying me extra to live here instead of just leaving at the end of the day. I guess that’s good because I’m getting paid to stay here instead of having to travel back and forth from my apartment to here…” She says, sitting at her desk and facing me.

I look at her then go and take a seat across from her, in a really comfy leather chair.

“Now, for this meeting I’m just going to tell you some about myself, and that’s it. No need to start anything else.” She says and I just watch her.

“Well… My name is Rebecca. But you can call me Becca, if we ever get you to talk..”

And then she’s off, describing her morals, where she was born where she lives now, her life from when she was young to now… on and on and finally, she says I can go and I leave without any hesitation this time.

I get back up to my room and inside just as the buzzer sounds and the lights go off. The voice doesn’t sound again, which I’m glad of. I’ve got a headache from all of her talking.

Although, at least she’s nice.

I think I’m going to be able to keep her around for a while, instead of driving her off like all of the others.

Maybe this time… the appointments will actually work.