40

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 40: Stay With Me

{D. K}

There Dakota stood, eyes staring blankly as she accepted that the witches had taken from her again without permission. "Is that everything, love?"

Dakota snapped out of her daze, turning her attention to Klaus. "Yeah, Tyler put everything in the car for me."

"So, are you excited?" He absently asked as he put away his paintings.

She watched him examine one with careful eyes before putting it into the 'no' pile and leaving it here. "To get out of Mystic Falls?" Dakota asked, not wanting an answer. "—I'm ecstatic to get out of this over-eventful town."

Klaus chuckled, stepping aside a bit to let Dakota sift through his abundant supply of art that he hand crafted. "Where to first, sweetheart? Paris? Peru?"

"Neither," Rebekah shouts as she stomps into the room, ruining the moment between the couple. "—Alaric Saltzman just tried to kill me."

Dakota's eyebrows furrowed. Alaric was left with the Salvatore's so they could make sure he died before he completely transitioned into the vampire that hunted vampires that Esther had created as a last retort to kill her children.

"Alaric Saltzman is supposed to be dead," Klaus counters, annoyance lacing his British accent.

"Well he's not," Rebekah's voice lowered slightly, but the urgency was still there. "—and we can thank mothers spell for making him a vampire with a white oak stake that can't kill him."

"Where is he now?"

"Stuck at school without a daylight ring."

Klaus picked up his suitcase. "Good thing we're leaving now."

"You're actually leaving Elena?"

Dakota stomped her foot, groaning loudly at the reminder. She hadn't mentioned Elena simply because she had hoped Klaus had forgotten all about picking up the doppelgänger that had caused so much trouble in the town. "Thank you, Bekah, for reminding him to pick up the teenager behind all of my problems. We just can't leave without a care package, huh?"

Klaus looked between his sister and Dakota, teeth gritting against one another as the topic of Elena presented itself yet again in his relationship. "Elena is coming wether you like it or not. So, I suggest you two warm up to the idea of our plus one as we drive off into the sunset."

"No, Nik. You don't need anymore of your stupid hybrids."

Klaus rolled his eyes as his sister. "What I need is protection from Esther's continued assaults against us."