sneek peek

Kerrington

"Ms.Jacobs, you're late." Mrs.Washington scolded as I headed to my desk. I slightly waved my pass in the air for the umpteenth time since the third day of school. I don't even know why she bothers anymore.

I caught her slight eye roll and chuckled, pulling out my history textbook.

"Page 430." The girl sitting beside me whispered, keeping her eyes forward. I gave her a slight head nod and quickly turned to the page.

Once I found it, I let out a small sigh and leaned back into my seat. I felt like the few minutes I've been here was long enough.

High school wasn't the best environment I've experienced so far.With rumors spreading like a wildfire there were a number of places I'd rather be.

Class ended sooner than I expected, due to my being late for class. I quickly gathered my things and aimed for being the first one out of here before the halls got crowded. I dove to my locker and switched out my textbooks. I slammed it closed and noticed something...different.

Maybe it was the slightly attractive guy attending to the locker next to mine. I frowned and looked his way once more. Since I wasn't far from him, my intense staring didn't take long for him to catch on to.

He looked at me an stared back clearly confused as to why I was doing such a thing.

I blinked a couple of times before shaking my head. "I'm sorry." I mumbled, referring to my staring. Before he could respond, I turned on my heels and headed to my next class, which happened to be across the building.

I reached the classroom and mentally applauded myself for making it on time. I took my seat in the front in the farthest corner of the room. Even though we didn't particularly have assigned seats, we all knew where we preferred to sit and respected that.

The bell soon rung and the classroom buzz slowly went down. A couple of late students walked in, followed by a threat of detention from Ms.Walker.

"Alright, well just pick up where we left off yeste--"

The door swung open revealing yet another late student I didn't bother to look up and recognize.

"Oh, I've been waiting on you!" I frowned and looked up, wondering who the hell she could be happy to see.

Ms.Walker turned towards the class. I immediately recognized who Locker Boy was "You may pick a seat anywhere you'd like." I sighed, realizing that one of the few empty seats were next to mine.

I quickly turned my head towards the window so he wouldn't see my face. I felt a presence next me, followed by some shuffling and silence. I assumed he didn't see my face, I continued to look out of the motionless parking lot before the sound of my name brung me back.

"Kerri, would you mind passing these worksheets out?"

Damn right I would. I stood up and grabbed the worksheets out of Ms.Walker's hand. I started from the opposite end of the room and made my way down to my end. I quickly sat a worksheet on Locker Boy's desk, avoiding any possible eye contact.

I felt eyes burning the side of my face as I squeezed past our desks and made my way to the second row.

I looked him from the corner of my eye. He was silently reading the worksheet I handed him. I made it to the last row and quickly handed each person a paper. Their were about four desks left, when a girl tripped me and quickly turned away. I turned around, stared at her for a couple of seconds, and made my way to the front of the classroom.

If she thought she was going to mess with me today, she was clearly mistaken. I wasn't in the mood for Tamera's antics.

"Hey, she didn't give us a worksheet!" She yelled standing up behind her desk. Ms.Walker looked at me and shook her head. "Please go give them a worksheet."

I sat the stack down on her desk and went to my seat. I packed up my items and waited for he to send me to the office for the rest of the period.

It wasn't that big of a deal, but Ms.Walker was known to overreact. She gave me a red slip and sent me on my way.

___

Kerrington, you can't keep getting slips from the same class. There's only so many you can get before you get suspended." Mr.Terrence, our principal sighed, crushing the red slip in his fist.

"I understand. I'll try not to." I mumbled.

I actually wasn't that bad of a student. I took school pretty seriously.

"Alright. Class just started, so I'm going to write you a pass back.

He jotted down the class and time before handing it to me and sending me on my way.

I reached Ms.Washington's class and opened the door. She turned towards me and frowned, probably wondering why I was back so quick. When I got sent out of her class, I usually didn't come back.

I sat the pass on her desk and headed towards my seat. I noticed Tamera in my seat, conversating with Bryson.

Me being raised the way I was, I simply ignored her attempt at getting under my skin and headed to the back, where the only seats available now were. Since that's where most of Tamera's friends, who actually weren't as bad as her sat, I sat in the corner of the row, away from most of them.

I also had the misfortune of watching Tamera attempt to talk to Locker Boy the entire period.

Ms.Washington got everyone's attention, telling us that we had five more minutes to finish the worksheet she passed out.

"Kerrington, will you pick them up when the five minutes are up?"

I rolled my eyes and looked at the clock. It was 3:50.

I spent the five minutes thinking about why this bitch treated me so dirty, knowing I did all of her work and tried my hardest not to disrespect her. Once 3:55 hit, I got up and started collecting the worksheets, starting with the back and making my way up.

I decided to get Locker Boy's paper last. I went stepped over Tamera's foot, then the other one, and collected her nearly completed worksheet.

I then got Locker Boy's. I sat it on top of the pile soni could finally learn his name. I walked to Me.Washington's desk and looked over the blank name line. Sighing, I turned around to give him his paper back.

"Hey, you forgot to put your name on it." He slowly looked up at me.

"Oh, my bad. Can you do it for me? It's Bryson."

He then looked back down in a notebook ferociously writing in a raggedy notebook.

I grabbed the other pencil on his desk and quickly jotted it down. "B-R-Y-S-O-N, right?"

"Yeah, thanks." he mumbled, still writing crazy fast. Before I could ask any further questions, I pulled myself away from his desk and sat the worksheet pile on Ms.Washington's desk.

"Thanks." She spoke, grabbing the worksheets to grade.

I went back to my desk.

::::