I Ruined the Moment, Didn't I? (Stark x reader)

"Hey, Rogers! Any chance you were gonna give (Y/N) some backup over here?" Tony called out, flying overhead to see you taking on four HYDRA guards alone, swooping down quickly to grab you around your waist and lift you to safety.

"I had that," you huffed.

"I know, sweetheart, I know," he laughed, "but I couldn't turn down an opportunity to look like a hero, now could I?"

"I'm sorry, (Y/N), I couldn't get there," Steve interrupted over the comm. "I was a little busy."

"It's all good, Cap," you replied. You weren't upset at all, and thought that you were holding your own fairly well while you waited for him, but Tony clearly had other ideas. "Oh well, how often can a girl live a dream come true? Being swept off her feet by a knight in real shining armor?"

You could hear an uncomfortable cough from Tony behind the mask and his flight wavered ever so slightly. "Dream come true, huh? Glad I could be of service, my princess."

"Are they flirting again?" Clint groaned.

"Yeah, I'm definitely feeling nauseated," Bruce joined in, "must be flirting."

"I think it's cute," Natasha added, "and quite entertaining."

"Well I think you're wrong."

"I don't believe that a battle is the most ideal situation to begin courting."

"See? Thor gets it!" Clint scoffed, "I don't know why they don't get it."

"We are not flirting! Maybe Clint doesn't get enough attention, is that it?" you snapped back. Landing on your feet next to Tony as he sat you down, you slipped slightly when he lost his grip and you began to fall back. His arm quickly wrapped around you again, now leaning over to hold you just off the ground.

"If you wanted to dance, honey, all you had to do was ask."

~~~

A few hours after returning from the mission, and keeping completely to yourself for the entire flight home, you couldn't sleep and thought that maybe working in the lab would wear you down. You had originally been brought to the team to work with Tony directly on a project for Nick, but after living in the tower and working with the team for so long, you never found yourself able to leave. So, Steve trained you, Tony gave you almost unlimited access to his systems, and you were turned into an Avenger.

During all that time it never occurred to you that maybe you were getting too close to Tony, or that he was feeling anything towards you. The team joked that you were flirting, but maybe it wasn't really a joke. You spent hours together everyday, so it just felt like a close friendship to you, and Tony certainly never brought it up. Maybe it was up to you to do it, and maybe now was the time since he was just about to enter the lab.

"Hey, (Y/N), you realize that it's 3am, right?"

"Yep, but correct me if I'm wrong, you're awake too."

A small but fatigued smile crossed his lips as he walked towards you, leaning down to rest both elbows on the table to watch intently as you worked. It took a long time for him to trust you alone here, but that didn't stop him from checking in now and again. "Einstein slept three hours a year."

"Yeah, you use that line way too much. It's not even true, Tony."

"Truth is a matter of circumstances," he said with a long yawn, "it's not all things to all people all the time."

"Well now you just sound like Nat," you scoffed, pausing to set your instruments down to look at him for the first time since he arrived. "Do you even have anything original anymore?"