Chapter 27

I heard Marlee and Niall's laughter echoing against the walls of the small shop and new all of the fun was about to come to an end. Just when everyone was beginning to relax and for once things seemed to be a bit normal, everything fell apart. I didn't know why I didn't expect it in the first place.

With my normal clothing back on and my phone still in my hand, I stepped out of the dressing room and found Louis waiting outside. He looked concerned as his blue eyes looked into mine. But, I didn't stop to explain anything to him. I found Marlee and Niall just a few feet away, still giggling away to their hearts content. Niall saw me first: his smile quickly fell after seeing my own countenance. Marlee's head turned in reaction, and suddenly I had become the center of attention without saying a word.

"Liam called." The mentioning of his name was met with what could easily be perceived as disappointment. Not because we now had a lead, but because that lead brought us back into reality. "He's got a trace on the virus in London. Well, not really a trace but... Sasha Frei is here. And Mallory apparently left a hefty deposit for her." I explained cautiously.

"Why would Mallory send Sasha money?" Louis asked. I looked around for the other two to say something, but they both seemed to be waiting for me. There was something about their expressions that were almost childlike, as if such a fun evening had brought them back to a fantasy of a time before MASK. But now, they had to look to me for answers, because they couldn't stand to see their fantasy get stripped away. And for them, this fantasy was their wedding.

"Why would anyone give a stranger enough money to buy them three houses on the French Riveria?" I turned to Louis, hoping at least the brainiac could figure it out. I just needed one of them to be able to understand.

"He gave her the virus. She's taking it somewhere. But why would she be here?" Louis finally realized, his eyes lighting up as he began to pace against the hardwood floors, the lit up London streets serving as a backdrop through the mirror behind him.

"She's giving it to someone else. Niall, can you keep watch on her phone? Have Liam keep monitoring her credit cards. We need to go to a hotel and get access to some street security cameras. She's going to meet up with someone in the next twenty-four hours. We won't be able to know who until we know when. So, come on, let's get to work." Marlee spoke up, leaving the dresses and suits behind her as she headed for the door to exit her fantasy, for what we all feared may be the last time. But it was to the point where we didn't have a choice. We were out of options.

Everything was set up within an hour of returning to the hotel. And so far, we had nothing on Sasha Frei. I called Liam again, and this time told him to come over. At this rate, it was going to be an all nighter. And we needed all the help we could get. But even enlisting Liam proved to no avail, as I was up at four in the morning, working the fourth A.M. shift of absolute boredom.

I was up with Liam this time. Louis and I were up at around one, but even then I could tell he was exhausted, so I sent him to bed. All of the setup was in our room, and so while we sat in silence, I could still hear his soft snores from the bed across the room. It was calming. And besides Liam being there, it was a sort of calm I wanted to experience every morning.

"So, you and Bill Nye the Science Guy, yeah?" Liam spoke in whispers and I looked up from the computer screen, my eyes having to adjust to the new, less harsh lighting that Liam was sitting in.

"Hey, don't call him that." I spoke as Liam laughed to himself, leaning back in his chair. I had to "shh" him to make sure he wouldn't wake up Louis. I really wanted him to get some well-deserved sleep.

"Really though, you and Louis?" He asked again and I raised an eyebrow at his question, as if it was supposed to mean something. "Well I mean, he's just so different from Drew. From everyone. From you." It was as if he was criticizing Louis, and suddenly I felt the need to go into defense mode.