Chapter 2: Marriage Thoughts

I stared at the elderly. Their words were so unexpected to me. Shock, anger, and some disappointment flowed through my veins. My life was taking a different turn that was made for me man years ago before my birth. The plan was unfolding before me.

"Yes. I do remember that promise. Do you think it's the perfect time?" my grandfather asked Pietro for his thought. Pietro nodded his head thing that it was a perfect time. I couldn't believe my ears. They had planned for me to marry someone who I didn't know anything about.

"So when do you think that they can get married?" grandfather asked him. I stood up from my seat. I really didn't think that I would ever be disrespectful to my elders especially my grandparents and his friend.

"I don't want to marry...not right now," I said to them. They looked at me as if they already knew my reaction. "You aren't getting married right away. I was thinking in two months," Pietro said to me. Two months! "You will have to meet my grandson and get to know him before the wedding," he explained to me.

"I'm sorry to be disrespectful and everything when we had just met but, I'm too young to get married," I told him straight up. I felt a hand on my my hand. I looked down to see my grandmother. "Sit down dear," she said to me. I breathed in a shaky breath and sat back down in my seat.

This is too much.

"I would like to invite you three to his birthday party next week. He's turning twenty four," Pietro told us. Twenty four! I didn't expect the age gap. I didn't mind a three to four year difference but, six year difference was above my limit. Twenty four year old marry a seventeen year old girl? Isn't that a crime?

"I think it is the best to marry them in two months. Vera will be eighteen by then," grandfather said to Pietro. Pietro seemed to like the idea and had a big smile on his face. "Perfect," Pietro said to him. Grandmother and Maria didn't seem to mind about the marriage.

I closed my eyes and let out a sigh. Can't believe this. I didn't finish my dessert because I lost my appetite. I couldn't bring myself to processing everything. They started to talk about the wedding and some old time memories.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once at home, I walked to my room and closed the door. I put my stuff down on the table. I'll put them away later. I turned my head to the bed. It looks so inviting. I took my glasses off to make sure that I didn't scratch them when I dive into the bed. I walked over to the bed and laid down.

Why is this happening to me? What was my grandfather thinking?

For some reason, I was thinking about my parents. I didn't want to categorize my grandfather like my parents. He wouldn't sink to their level.

He must have a reason.

I closed my eyes to think. Wonder what he is like. My life as a teenager was over...to a certain extent. Most likely, I wouldn't be able to attend university, hang out with friends, and go out on my own if the guy was the strict and controlling type.

I drifted off into a deep sleep thinking about my future husband.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two weeks later.....

What to wear?

I was trying to pick what to wear for my future husband's wedding. I remembered that his name was Adrian. I spent the last two weeks thinking about him, wondering about his personality and his life. I didn't know much about him.

Last week, my grandparents were telling me some of their memories of him and the family. They showed me pictures of Adrian as a baby to a four year old. To be honest, he was cute as a child. I wondered what he looked like now.