Forty. A Brotherly Understanding

Throughout the course of the night, well the remainder of the night, my moment with Aidan in the rain played on a constant loop. My brain was on hyperdrive, so much so that I didn't shut my eyes until about four in the morning, and when I did I was met with peaceful dreams. The most peaceful dreams I've had in a while.

Of course I couldn't be left alone to really soak them in for as long as I would've liked.

"Good morning!" Kenzie voice's sang.

I jumped at the sound of my bedroom door bursting open and groaned in aggravation and exhaustion.

"Kenzie, get the hell out," I threw my blanket over my head and squeezed my eyes shut hoping it would also somehow shut her out.

"Rise and shine, sleepyhead," she said with the same amount of annoying cheerfulness.

My warm covers were ripped away from me, and sunlight, that caused my eyes to squint in pain, streamed through my window as the curtains were pulled back.

"Up up up," she said in a brisk tone. "You can't stay in bed all day."

"You do realize you're giving me the perfect incentive to murder your ass, right?" I retrieved my covers from the floor and pulling them back over myself. "Shut the damn curtains, and see yourself out."

"I brought you a caramel macchiato from Starbucks."

I stilled, and then sat up in my bed. A sweet smile made its way onto my lips when I saw my friend was indeed carrying a coffee holder with three steaming cups of coffee placed in their respective slots. She stared down at me with an expectant look.

"Good morning, Kenzie," I said pleasantly. "You're looking lovely today."

She rolled her eyes, but nevertheless handed over my drink.

"Ahhh," I sighed after taking a long sip. "You are a beautiful human being."

"Oh, I know."

She set the coffee holder down on my side table and motioned for me to make room. When I did she climbed in,  grabbed the remote, and switched on my TV.

We sat in a comfortable silence. Me inhaling my coffee, and Kenzie scrolling through the menu of TV shows trying to find something she liked. Majesty skipped into the room not long after, calling out a loud greeting with a bright smile on her face.

"Why is everyone so peppy?" I asked as she climbed into the bed, settling on my other side. "It's nine in the morning on a Saturday."

"Just because you don't know how to wake up in the morning doesn't mean the rest of us don't," Majesty scoffed, snapping her fingers. "Kenzie. Drink."

"Snap your fingers at me again, and I'll snap each one of them off your hand," Kenzie said sharply, but grudgingly handing her her coffee.

Majesty ignored the threat and took a careful sip. Her eyes lit up all of a sudden, and she turned to me eagerly.

"How was your date?"

Kenzie turned her head. "What date?"

I smiled and shrugged, staring at the cup in my hands. "It was good."

"What date?"

"Just good? I need more details than that, girl!"