Chapter 17

I stared at the GPS screen as I typed in the address. The robotic voice almost instantly began telling us to pull out onto the highway. I glanced over at Tyler, studying his facial expression. He seemed to be blank. We both pulled out seat belts over us before we took off onto the main road.

"Thanks for coming with me. I would've offered to drive, but I've been kinda out of it recently. I'd hate to cause a wreck," I said softly.

"Anytime Mad," he grinned.

"So how are you taking the whole hybrid situation?" I asked in attempt to change the subject. "Is it bad or better?"

"It's better in some ways, but not," he shrugged. I gave him a confused look. "I mean, I don't have to turn, which I really am happy about. But then there's the cravings. I don't see how you handle them."

"I've had a thousand years of practice," I laughed.

"Yeah I forgot about that," he chuckled. "What's it like? Living for so long, I mean."

"It's weird to watch the people around you age, and to always look the same. It's also nice though because I always get to see everything change. Life is an adventure and I've been lucky enough to have hundreds of them. I only have one complaint," I stopped. "I wanted a family of my own; children."

"I'm sorry Maddie," Tyler apologized.

"For what? It's not like you drug me into all this," I frowned as I leant my head against the window. "Soon this will all be over."

"What do you mean?" He questioned.

"Once I get rid of this mark, I'm leaving. I can't deal with Klaus anymore than I have to," I explained.

"Do Damon and Stefan know?"

"I don't have the heart to tell them," I said sadly. "They'll find out in their own. Besides, we have an eternity. I'm sure we'll see each other again."

•••

"This the place?" Tyler nudged me awake. I groggily opened my eyes, glancing around to find the familiar bar.

"Yeah," I confirmed sleepily. I grew confused as I noticed the police tape surrounding it. I pushed the door open, stepping out to talk to one of the police officers.

"Ma'am you can't be here," a policeman warned me. "There is an open investigation going on."

"What happened?" I asked as I stared deep into his eyes, compelling him to tell me. His face changed to a blank look.

"The owner of the bar, Gloria, was found drained of blood on the floor. Foul play is suspected," he answered in a monotoned voice.

"She can't be dead," I exclaimed in frustration. Tyler walked over to me, watching as I was on the verge of a panic attack. "You are going to let us go in by ourselves and then forget about us."

"Go on in," he said once again in his monotoned voice. Compulsion worked wonderfully. I pointed my head towards the door, and Tyler followed me inside. I frowned at the pool of blood on the ground. Of course it was foul play. I stepped over the Crimson liquid, walking to the bar. I easily climbed over it before my wrist began to sting again. I ignored the pain as I looked for any grimoires.

My eyes scanned the shelves before I finally spotted a page behind a few bottles of liquor. I smirked as I pushed them out of the way, sending them clashing to the ground. I didn't flinch from the sound of the shattering glass. I simply grabbed the Grimoire, pleased to find that it was Esther's. I stuffed it into my coat before walking over to Tyler. He was picking through the alcohol. I gave him a disapproving look. He only smiled in return.

"She's dead anyways," he shrugged. "Not like she's going to be using it anytime soon."

I gave him him an annoyed eye roll before we walked back to the car. The police officer stared at us in confusion before shaking out of his trance. Tyler started the car back up as I pulled out the grimoire. I flipped through the pages, looking for anything about me. There it was. I mentally thanked God that I could read it without the help of a witch. I scanned my eyes across the words, finding myself growing more and more frustrated.

"I can't go back a failure, Tyler," I sighed. "Damon will be all 'I told you so' and I can't deal with that at the moment."

"What am I supposed to do then?" He frowned.

"Take me anywhere but there," I begged.

"What does that say about your mark?"

"The same thing I already knew. I need Klaus' blood."

"So why don't we just go ask Klaus for some of his blood?" Tyler asked as if it were obvious.

"Because he's Klaus!" I said in annoyance. "He isn't just going to give me his blood. There has to be something in it for him."

"There is. The girl he loved gets to live. Maddie, we have to go talk to him."

"Just give me a week, okay?" I begged. "I just need a week away from that hell hole."

"Alright," he reluctantly agreed.