Chapter 1

**Maddie’s POV**

"Maddison! Wake up! We're late!"
I sit blot upright in bed. Remus has thrown open my curtains and the sun is blaring in. I look at the clock. Ten thirty.
"Crap!" I cry, kicking the covers off and struggling out of bed.
"Language!" Remus yells from downstairs.
I fling open my closet. Jeans... Jeans... Where are they? I grab a waist band and tug. They're not jeans, but they'll do. I pull them on while searching for a t-shirt. I grab a big, black one and quickly pull my pyjama top off.
"Hurry up!" Remus calls.
"Okay!" I call, pulling on my bra and t-shirt. I stuff my pyjamas messily into my trunk and haul it down stairs. Remus hands me a piece of toast and picks up my trunk. As I grab my cat I look at the clock. Five minutes.
Remus grabs my arm and I feel a twist and he apparates. I close my eyes, trying to ignore the feeling of being squeezed.
The second my feet hit the ground I begin moving towards the scarlet engine.
"Here!" Remus pushing my trunk into my arms.
"Be good!" he says, kissing my forehead, "remember, just because you can visit Hogsmead this year-"
"I have to go!" I cry, "write the lecture down and send it to me!"
"Maddie!" I see Fred lean out of a door and throw my trunk to him as the train starts to move. I jump and grab George's arm.
"Phew," I sigh, closing the door and leaning against it, "made it."
"Cut it close, though," Fred says, "how was your summer?"
"Uneventful," I reply, dragging my trunk along the train to the compartment the boys had got. Lee was sitting in there with a brown box.
"What's in there?" I ask, by way of greeting. He grins and shows me a giant spider.
"Gross," I say, wrinkling my nose.
"Hey, Maddie, you'll never guess who's on the train," George says.
"Oh, no, it's Snape isn't it?" I joke, pretending to faint.
"Harry Potter!" Fred says. I sit up and look at them.
"For real?" I ask. George nods.
"You knew him, right?" Lee asks.
"Yeah, my dad was friends with his parents," I say, "I wonder if he remembers..."
"Come and we'll introduce you," Fred says, "he's sitting with Ron."
"Okay, hang on," I lean over my trunk and dig through it until I find my photo album. I flick through until I find a picture of Harry and I with his parents and my father. I put it in my pocket and follow Fred and George along the train.
"Hey Ron, I say, sliding past Fred to sit next to Ron. I smile over at Harry.
"I'm Maddison," I tell him, "you probably don't remember me, but I knew you were you were little. Before... Well, before your parents died."
"You knew my parents?" Harry asks.
"Yeah, not well, I was three when they died, but my dad and uncle were good friends with them," I reply, "here."
I hand him the picture.
"That's you, me, my dad and your parents," I tell him, pointing them all out. He stares at the picture, his eyes hungry.
"Haven't you ever seen a picture of them before?" I ask curiously. He shakes his head, still gazing at the picture.
"Oh, well you can keep that," I say, "I've got loads."
"Really?" Harry gasps, looking up.
"Sure," I smile.
"Thank you!" he cries. I shrug.
"You're welcome," I say, "now, if you'll excuse us, we have pranks to plot."
I walk out with Fred and George. As we're heading back to our compartment, Oliver Wood sticks his head out of his door.
"Maddison? Can I talk to you for a second?" he asks.
"Sure, I'll catch you up," I tell Fred and George.
"You're in third year now," Oliver says, his eyes holding some of the intensity they do before Quidditch matches, "are you going to start going to Hogsmead?"
"Yep."
"Would you like to go-"
"MADDIE!"
I spin around and see Angelina and Alicia running towards me. I forget Oliver as they colide with me, crushing me in a hug.
"How were your holidays?" Alicia asks, her eyes shining, "did you stay with Fred and George?"
"No, I got homesick," I confess, "what about you?"
"We went to France!" Alicia says, "to visit my cousins! It was wicked!"
"We went a saw a few Quidditch matches," Angelina says, "but we didn't travel."
"I just hung around with Uncle Remus," I say, leaning against the wall and brushing my long, straight, dark brown hair out of my eyes.
"Maddie?" George sticks his head out of the door, "are you coming or not?"
I smile at the girls and walk towards George, my heart thumping in a funny way.
"I've missed this place," I sigh, climbing off the train.
"I can't wait to go for visits to Hogsmead," George says.
"Legal visits you mean," I grin. He winks at me and we head towards the carriages.
"I've always wondered what these things are," I say, stroking the weird, horse like thing pulling the carriage. Fred gives me a funny look.
"What?"
"There's nothing pulling it," George says, jumping up and offering me his hand. I take his hand, thrilling to the warmth of it.
"Can't you see them?" I ask. They shakes their heads.
"Quit foolin'," I sigh. They exchange a glance.
"We're not kidding."
I roll my eyes and turn to the castle.
"I'll ask Hagrid about them," I say to myself.
The next morning I wake early and get into my robes. I pick up my bag and walk down to visit Hagrid. He's sitting outside his hut peeling some kind of plant.
"Hello Hagrid!" I call, skipping over and dropping my bag.
"'Ello Maddie," Hagrid says, "good holiday?"
"It was alright," I shrug, "you?"
"Same ol', yeh know."
"Yup, hey Hagrid, what're the things that pull the carriages?" I ask, sitting down opposite him.
"Thestrals," he replies. I frown.
"Fred and George said they could see them-"
"Probably can't," Hagrid says, "yeh can only see 'em if you've seen someone die."
I sit in silence for a moment, watching Hagrid.
"I'd better go," I sigh eventually. Hagrid nods and says goodbye. I walk back towards the castle, feeling strangely empty. When Fred and George meet me at the Gryffindor table I'm staring blankly at my cup of pumpkin juice.
"You alright?" Fred asks, "you haven't eaten."
"I'm fine," I answer quietly. When the post comes an owl lands in front of me and sticks out it's leg. I untie the note and open it. It's a brief lecture from Remus about behaving in Hogsmead.
"Timetables," Professor McGonagal hands me a timetable. I immediately lean over to Fred and George to compare. All three are identical.
"Potions first," I sigh, "what a way to start the year."
"You know you love Snape," Fred laughs as we head towards the dungeons.
"Oh, I know," I say sarcastically, "at least we're with Ravenclaw, not Slytherin."
"Yeah, but now maybe you won't be top in the class," George teases, pulling a strand of my hair. I push him away and tie my hair back, leaving my fringe out.
"I've beat them in every exam so far," I point out, "I think I'm in for a chance."
"Not this year," a girl says from behind me, "you're a Gryffindor. Everyone knows Ravenclaws are smarter."
I watch her stalk into the dungeon and glance at Fred.
"Who was that?" I ask. He shrugs, following George and Lee into the dungeon.
"Silence," Snape drones. I roll my eyes at Lee, who grins at me.
"Today we will be brewing a fairly simple potion designed to get rid of pimples," Snape says, "however, the instructions must be followed exactly."
He waves his wand and the instructions appear on the board.
"You will be working in pairs," Snape continues, "you have an hour. At the end of that time your potions will be tested on your partner. Begin."
"I'm with Maddie!" Fred, Leea nd George cry at the same time.
"Fred, you're with me," I sigh. This happens nearly every lesson, especially when Snape threatens to test the potions on us.
As we walk to the cupboard to get out ingredients the Ravenclaw girl catches my arm and smiles a fake smile at me.
"Good luck," she says, then her face turns bitter, "you'll need it."
"Wow she hates you!" Fred whispers, half-laughing. I laugh too.
"I don't care," I reply, "let's get this potion done."
"Fred, pass me the sickle. Fred!" I nudge his arm.
"Oh, sorry," he says, handing me the sickle.
"Miss Black," Snape sneers, "talking in class. Ten points from Gryffindor."
"I have to talk to him! He's my partner!" I protest.
"A further ten points," Snape says gleefully, "for being rude."
"I wasn't being rude!"
"You did not call me 'sir' or 'professor', and that, Miss Black, is rude. From now on you will address me as 'sir' or 'professor', do you understand?"
"Yes," I mutter.
"Yes sir."
I can't resist the temptation!
"Actually, sir," I say politely, "I'm a 'miss'. You see, males are referred to as 'sir' while females are referred to as 'miss' or 'ma'am'."
"Fifty points from Gryffindor," Snape spits, "now, complete this potionin silence."
I turn back to my potion. It's a deep red. It should be purple. I look at the board.
Add one dried newt and stir.
I add the newt and begin to stir. Immediately the potion turns a brilliant purple, just like the sample on Snape's desk. It's all Fred can do not to cheer.
"Your time is up," Snape calls softly, "only a few potions are fit for human use. If I tap your shoulder, take your partner and potion up the front of the class."
Snape begins prowling, looking at the potions and making the occasional noise of disgust or biting comment.
"I expected more of a Ravenclaw."
"What is that?"
Finally he tapped on girl on the shoulder. It was the Ravenclaw girl who had it in for me.
"It seems courage doesn't amount to much in potions, Miss Spinnet."
He didn't even comment on George and Lee's potion, just vanished it and waved his hand around in the air to dissipate the smoke. George cringe at me, then I feel a soft tap on my shoulder. I shoot a grin at Fred as we carry our potion up the front of the class.
"Miss Drew," Snape says, step forward."
The Ravenclaw girl's partner steps forward.
"We will try the potion on you," Snape says.
"But sir, Amy doesn't have any pimples!"
A small smile appears on Snape's face as he raises his wand to her face. A huge, red pimple appears on the end of her nose.
"Miss Clark, you had better hope your potion is perfect. If it isn't this pimple will be on the end of Miss Drew's nose for a very long time."
Amy's face pales as 'Miss Clark' dips a dropper into the potion.
"One drop should do it," Snape says. The girl, shaking, drops one drop on the end of Amy's nose. We all watch carefully, but nothing happens. Snape's sneer grows wider.
"I'm so sorry Amy!" the girl whispers as Snape vanishes her potion.
"Miss Drew, that pimple will disappear in about a week. Now," he turns towards Fred and I, "Mr Weasley."
Fred flinches as Snape points his wand at him. A giant pimple appears on his forehead.
I pick up a dropper and turn to Fred.
"Look on the bright side," I say, trying to sound confident, "at least we'll be able to tell you apart."
"Get on with it," Snape snaps. I put a drop of potion on Fred's forehead. It glistens for a moment, then absorbs into the pimple. I wait, my hands trembling, then the pimple disappears. The Gryffindors begin to cheer and Fred and I heave a sigh of relief.
"Ten points from Gryffindor."
The dungeon falls silent. I turn to Snape.
"Why?" I demand. He looks down his long nose at me, his eyes glinting cruelly.
"For not calling me sir," he says. Luckily, the bell rings at that moment. Fred grabs my arm and hauls me out of the dungeon.
"Stupid slimey haired git!" I cry, my wand in my hand letting out red sparks.
"Hush Maddie, you're scaring the firsties," Fred says soothingly. George catches up with us and softly punches my arm.
"At least you got the potion right," he says, "besides, you only lost sixty points."
"Eighty, George," I groan, looking at the giant hour glass with the house points in it, "I lost eighty."
George lets out a low whistle.
"We're screwed," he says. I cover my face with my hands.
"What's the use of being best in everything if I lose so many points?" I ask, "we'll never win the house cup."
"We'll win them back in Quidditch," Fred says comfortingly, "now come on, McGonagal awaits."

"Which one of you lost all those points?" McGonagal demands the minute she sees Fred and George, "we're eighty points down. Eighty!"
"It was me, professor," I say sheepishly. She round on me.
"It was during potions," I tell her.
"I was really unfair!" Angelina interjects.
"Yeah, she got her potion perfect!" Alicia adds.
Professor McGonagal sighs.
"That man," she mutters, "well? What're you waiting for? Go in, go in!"

"See?" Fred says as we walk into the Great Hall after herbology, "I told you we'd get the points back."
I flick a bit of dirt at him and smile. He gives me a little shove and I push him back, tripping him up.
"Miss Black!" McGonagal scolds as she walks past. I reach out and help Fred up. He doesn't let go of my hand for a moment. George shoves past us. I grin at Fred. It gets to George when we muck around like that.
"I'm going to shower before dinner," I tell them, running up the stairs.
"I love you too!" Fred calls out, laughing.
"Maddie?" Oliver intercepts me at the portrait hole, "you smell like dragon dung."
"You're such a charmer," I say sarcastically, pushing past him. As I walk off I could swear I heard him mutter "I'm trying..."