Seventeen

You had been distancing yourself for the past few weeks; Fred had been acting unlike himself, when around you. But he was fine when George was there, he just didn't want to be alone with you and that was hurtful. It was making you feel slightly lonely, so you had been making friends with some Durmstrang and Beauxbaton boys, who had a particular interest in the history of Hogwarts, which you and Hermione loved to talk about. They were all very sweet, but Hermione only had eyes for a certain Mr. Viktor Krum.

And you? Well, none of them were Fred.

Winter was still very much around. Constant rain showers and strong winds greeted you every morning. All of the snow had melted, so it wasn't even worth it anymore.

***

Everybody's favourite holiday was approaching. Valentine's Day, or Single's Awareness Day, was an excuse for all the couples to publicly declare their love and give each other cleverly enchanted chocolates and flowers. There was also a Hogsmeade trip, to celebratem although you didn't intend on going, if no one was going to invite you.

You briefly wondered if Fred had a Valentine in mind. He probably did, all the girls loved the Weasley twins. Then again, there was Viktor Krum and the other attractive boys hailing from Durmstrang and Beauxbatons. It also appeared that Fred amd Angelina were not actually a couple, as they hadn't spent much time together, or alone, since the dance. You tried not to think about it too much though, but you couldn't help but feel glad about that.

You were too busy for Valentine's Day anyway. Right now, the sixth years were learning how to apparate. Although you had yet to splinch, reading tips to help you successfully pass the test was consuming a lot of your free time. Apparating was going to be very useful to you. No doubt it was going to be the cause of great amusement in the summer before your final year, which you were planning to spend with the Weasleys again.

***

There was a glint of hopefulness in nearly everyone's eyes. Thankfully, the hall was nowhere near as gaudily decorated as it was in your fourth year, when Lockhart was there.

But there was still a noticeable effort made. Red velvet pankcakes in the shape of hearts. Red roses for Gryffindor, yellow for Hufflepuff, dark blue for Ravenclaw and green for Slytherin.

You sat down and helped yourself to some of the cute pancakes. Maybe today would actually be bearable. You checked your timetable; double potions with Snape. Okay, maybe not, considering most of the students were Slytherin and hated you.

The mail arrived, with a flurry of owls. Some of them were carrying distinctly red and pink envelopes. You looked for Saturn, expecting a letter from your parents. But when the tiny owl landed clumsily in front of you, she brought two letters. The first you knew was from your parents, but the second letter? There was something different about it. It was a pale pink envelope, carefully decorated with sparkly hearts. Maybe it was a mistake? But your name was clear written on the front, in handwriting that seemed familiar. You just couldn't remember where you had seen it before.

You fed Saturn a small piece of toast, grabbing an apple for yourself. She gratefully took it from you and flew off. You then politely excused yourself, earning a questioning look from both twins.

You quickly shoved the letter in your cloak, hoping that nobody saw (especially Fred), deciding you'd rather open it privately. Before leaving, you waved goodbye to the twins, who glanced at each other, in a way that made you suspicious. Too excited to ask them about it, you just smiled and briskly walked away, munching on your apple.

***

You found yourself wandering the empty corridors; there was still a while before lessons started. You grabbed the envelope and tentatively tore it open. There was a kind of jittery nervousness about the whole thing, but it was good, like the butterflies yiu get when you catch your crush staring at you, or when you're going to do something that thrills and terrifies you at the same time. Well, that's what the letter was. Thrilling and terrifying.

You read what it said, smiling in spite of yourself. "Dearest Y/N, it's me again, happy Valentine's Day. I think it's time I revealed myself to you. Just know, even if you don't return my feelings, I won't stop loving you. I can't." You murmured, noticing that it ended rather suddenly.

You heard footsteps behind you, making you startle and shove the letter out of sight. But you were reluctant to look behind you. "Turn around, Y/N. Please. I know you read the note."

***

A/N: Hi. I know it's been a really long time, but please don't make me feel any worse about it then I already do. I needed to take a break and focus on myself. I'm still not completely okay, but I will get there eventually. I can't promise regular updates again, although I don't want anymore long breaks.

I think I'mgonna bring this to an end soon. Then after that, I want to start some original stuff I've been planning, although I would like to share something in the mean time. It's up to you guys, I guess. Because I like writing things that you will enjoy.

I think that's pretty much everything I have to say for now. Thanks everyone,
Em.