Chapter Two - A Not So Merry...Monday *Annabeth*

A/N: So when I first started/got the idea for this story it was Christmas. And despite me being totally excited about summer I'm enjoying writing about winter and one of my favorite holidays. Christmas really is the nicest time of year - at least when you got people you love to celebrate it with. But when you don't I imagine it's quite terrible!

Two

-A Not So Merry...Monday-

*Annabeth*

I parked my little red Toyota between the house and the large building we called the Track. It was Monday afternoon and I was pissed. My best friend Petra's boyfriend Josh had been talking non-stop about all the things he was making his parents buy him for Christmas. Petra had gotten into it too, making wishes for a newer car, phone and fancy make-up. I hadn't said anything.

As I remained in the car, looking up at the dark house, I wondered if I would be getting any presents at all this year. Considering all the facts, I wouldn't blame my dad if he canceled Christmas this year too. I didn't deserve a Christmas and there sure hadn't been any indication that he wanted to do anything to commemorate the holidays. It was only three weeks left until Christmas would be over, yet there were no decorations anywhere on or in our house.

Decorations had been April's thing. She'd loved those stupid blinking lights and Christmas ornaments of every kind were overflowing boxes in the attic.

Since it had been a full moon this weekend the pack had gone running several times and it hadn't felt right to bring it up with them all in the house. But now there would be only me and dad. Yes, I decided as I grabbed my school bag and got out of the car, I would talk to him. I would make him realize decorations and Christmas couldn't just stop.

"Hi dad," I called as I entered the house. There was no reply. Which was about what I had expected.

Instead of heading upstairs to my room, as I normally would, I went into the living room and down the yellow painted hall full of photos of me, my brothers, my father and April. Stopped in front of my dad's office door and knocked.

"Come in," he called from inside. "Oh, Annabeth," he said as I opened the door. "I thought you were Don."

He sat up a little straighter behind the desk. My dad looks good for a guy in his late forties, but most werewolves keep pretty good. Something about the magic of shifting from human to wolf I knew. It had been explained to me when I was younger but I didn't quite remember the specifics. But I knew it was true because my dad, with his dark curly hair, blue twinkling eyes and strong body didn't look a day over thirty-five. Something I knew had been bugging the hell out of April. Not that it mattered now.

"Well it's me. Do you have a moment?" I said, trying not to frown at the thought of Don coming for a visit.

"Sure Angel. I always have time for you," my dad said putting his pencil down and plastering a smile on his face.

I swallowed, knowing that was true. If I wanted his time he would always give it. Only I couldn't bring myself to make him be around me. Because we both knew what I'd done. Who was responsible. Even when he said he didn't blame me, we both knew. When he said the road had been covered with black ice, we both knew. When he said that it was an accident. When he said that he was glad I was alive. We both knew he didn't really mean it. We both knew. We both knew I'd killed April. Killed his fragile human mate.

"I was thinking we should put up some decorations," I said, watching his face. I wondered if I would see the insanity that had been there the first weeks after April's death. Or the emptiness that had come after. Or the agonizing expression of soul deep pain that now was more common. Instead of any of those though he smiled, a real smile that made little crinkles around his eyes.