Ch. 13

"We need to take the short cut through the mountains now, can we make it to the castle by tomorrow afternoon?" I asked once we were packed and on our horses. 

     "Not if you want to make it there alive," Zinnia muttered.

     "We're going through the mountains," Ray said.

     Zinnia turned to him, "What? Ray you know the mountains aren't safe, especially at night."

     "We'll keep a close eye to make sure no rocks fall on us, and any rogues out there who even try to attack us will get torched by Nova," he turned to me, "isn't that right?"

     I merely nodded. Zinnia didn't agree though, so I let the siblings bicker it out while I took charge and started making my way towards the shorter path. And unsurprisingly they followed, and they continued to argue about it the safety of the passage, but after a few minutes traveling even the arguing stopped. The only noises came from our horses foot steps in the dirt and Liam, when he would stir awake every few hours. I simply knocked him back to sleep and the quietness resumed. 

      The sounds of waves were like a mere memory to me now as the new setting of summer emerged. Dirt, rocks and open space.

     "So," Ray whispered once he was riding near me, out of Zinnias ear shot, "are you going to explain-"

     "No," I said sternly.

     He let out a frustrated breath, "Nova-"

     "No."

     I kicked Raven on her side to speed up, leaving Ray and the conversation. I know they wanted answers, but I wasn't going to talk until I got to the castle. Mostly because I'm still trying to process everything that just happened. The only thing that I can count on is that the sooner I get to the castle, then the faster I can deal with my mother and whatever she's up too.

--------

     It's almost sunrise, I could almost see the sun wanting to break over the horizon, the orange hues saturated with the color that was missing from the dark night. But the mountains were to tall are blocked most of my view. For a while I thought I was traveling alone, everything was quiet except for my thoughts, until I hear Ray trying to whisper. When I turn around and he stops talking to quickly for my liking.

     "The horses need rest," he said while he ran his hand roughly through his hair and face.

     It was true, they did. But they could have also pushed on if we wanted them to. What Ray really wanted to say was that he and Zinnia needed to rest, it showed on their faces the lack of sleep two nights in a row can bring. Both their eyes were getting dark circles under them, Zinnia's eyes were even having trouble keeping open.

     But I was desperate to keep moving.

     "I'm sure the horses will be fine, we are almost to the castle, aren't we? It's almost noon."

     Zinnia got off her horse and began taking down her stuff even as I tried to protest, the animal immediately laid down and shut its eyes, "No Nova, it's almost morning. I rather rest now than once we travel into the mouth of the cave ahead."

     And with that she laid down and shut her eyes.

     I decided there was no arguing to be done, we could have pushed forward but her horse was fast asleep and there was no waking a stubborn horse. Or a stubborn Zinnia.

     I got off Raven first and then dropped the knight, dirt filling the air as his heavy body thudded. Ray helped me drag him in the center so we could all keep an eye on him and then I offered to take the first watch.