Chapter 28

Fadil

Following the employee at the mortuary, I entered the room with the body. The man removed the sheet from the body's face and with hesitant steps I moved forward. Just two steps away I froze. It was Fahd.

"Is he Fahd Mirza?"

Dumbfounded I looked at the man unable to understand what he just retorted. It took few minutes to realize he was confirming the identity and then I nodded abruptly.

"Ok I will give you few moments," he walked away.

My heartbeat thudded loudly. Even before tears could emerge I started silently weeping. My shoulders shaking. With utmost strength, I took the last two steps. My eyes scanned my brother's white bruised face. There were purplish bruises on his cheeks, scratches all around his face and dried blood on the sides. I couldn't stand it any longer, holding on to the table he was lying on, I slumped on to the ground and wailed loudly. I cried and cried and cried.

I staggered to my feet and dejectedly took my dead brother's hand. I gulped the emotions, I wanted to talk to him but nothing came out. I tried again and I whimpered,

"Fahd"

Again I tried, "How did this happen? What happened?" I sniffed and rubbed my nose with my jacket-clad arm.

"Fahd... my dear brother... Fahd... brother... ya Allah..." I choked, "Mom, Dad, how will I tell them? You were Mom's boy, no Fahd no Fahd," I stifled another wail, "You will leave an emptiness in our hearts and lives."

Tears trickled down my nose and cheeks, with my other hand I brushed them away. "Fahd you have a son. He...he...he..." my lips quivered, tears fell on our joined hands, "Fahd please, your son needs you. He is just.." I swallowed, "you would be proud of him. He looks just like you."

Clenching my eyes shut and letting more tears fall, "And Ramlah?" biting my trembling lower lip, I swallowed and asked the lifeless body, "How will she live and raise a son alone?" I tightened my hold on his cold lifeless hand and brought his hand to my lips, "Fahd ... Fahd...Fahd...I am sorry brother I am so so so sorry. I wish I had been there for you when you needed me."

"Why...why? Ya Allah...ya Allah... Ya Rahman ya Raheem."

I stayed like that for many minutes. Unable to move, unwilling to part from my brother. Memories of our childhood rushed back. Fahd and I playing tag, Fahd and I fighting over Play Station, our college time our sports and our friends. All was lost. Only memories were left.

I was the only son now.

I had no brother.

No sibling.

I was alone.

"Sir, it's getting late." I heard a voice calling out to me.

"Sir?"

"Yes, I am coming," I said croakily.

Releasing Fahd's hand and gently placing it on the table I moved near his face. One last time my eyes scanned his face with tears in my eyes I bent down to kiss his bruised forehead.

"You will always be missed dearly."

My eyes bleakly looked at my dead brother.

"Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un" I whispered.

I walked out with one big regret if only I had been closer to my brother I could have helped him out in whatever problem he was in.

****

Stepping out of mortuary I called Salman. He answered in the second ring.

"Fadil? Everything ok? It's around 4am"