eight

Luke's manager was pissed, despite his calm exterior.

And with reason. Luke had broken a million management rules: left the party without permission, angered about five-fourths of his personal fandom by being seen with a female, slept with a girl he just met, and hadn't been thinking about the consequences of doing so.

Luke was simply acting on impulse. In the moment, one night with Anna Rihvalsky (the girl he'd loved/lusted after for years) seemed certain to bring him some sort of closure. One night with her and he was sure that the heavens would open up, scream down to him, "You made it!" and that his life would forever be altered.

After one night with Anna, he was certain that he'd have newfound faith and confidence, although never forgetting his humble beginnings. He'd be good friends with Anna and maybe even more than friends. His entire life path would be clear. He'd continue with his life as anyone does: clear-headed and with new inspiration.

In his mind, he was given a golden opportunity. He was simply at the right place at the right time, and no manager could condemn him for that--it was just luck.

Boy, was he wrong. On all accounts.

Because Luke hadn't found closure. Quite ironically, it seemed that he had found the exact opposite: the deep, heartfelt desire for more.

Luke wanted to take Anna's hand in his and never let go. He wanted to spend the rest of his days with her, telling her how much he loved and admired her. And in the nights, he would show her just how much he loved her. He wanted to hold her close, kiss her neck, pleasure her beyond belief. He wanted to grow old with her, watching the sun rise and set each day until their hearts could beat no more.

Luke knew he shouldn't want more than what he got. But he couldn't help it; she was just too damn addicting. That last kiss left him wanting more--so much more.

He didn't care that this addiction came with strings attached. He didn't care that she came with strings attached.

He just wanted her.

Heart aching, Luke reluctantly walked back to his hungover bandmates and beaming manager.

That's right--beaming. His manager, Adam Li, had a way of luring the boys into a false sense of security, then pouncing on them when they were least expecting it.

That inspired the nickname 'Mr. Liar', an extension of the manager's actual surname, Li, that seemed to suit his personality better.

The moment Luke rejoined the group, Mr. Liar clapped his hands together to begin the meeting. "So, last night went... Well?"

Of course, this meant that last night went directly the opposite of what Mr. Liar wanted. (But Luke was the only one who picked up on this; the rest either weren't paying attention or just didn't care.)

"'Went well' is an understatement." Calum scoffed bitterly in response, then turned his body to Luke. "Hey, Lucas. How is it that you always get what you want?"

"Um... I don't know, honestly." Luke simply shrugged. He wasn't going to deny Calum's statement; it was kind of true. Good things just seemed to happen to people like Luke Hemmings, and he loved it.

But sadly, it still wasn't enough for him.

He wanted more. He was the biggest idealist there ever was, and that applied to everything in his life. He wanted more than the ordinary everything--personal belongings, family, friends, job, status, responsibilities.