[90 - Part 1]: His Forever Girl

**Thank you @In_love_with_r5 for the lovely banner**

I was frozen to the spot...and it had nothing to do with the 'snow' that was falling all around us.

My hands were taken in Ash's as he turned me to face him. My heart felt like it was about to pound through my chest it was beating that quickly, and my legs felt like they were made out of jelly. It's a good thing Ash is holding onto me.

"So I'm guessing what's in that box is what I caught you looking at last week?" I whisper and he nods.

"Sort of." He whispers

"What do you mean?"

"Okay well do you remember what I told you about the Gentoo penguin? That they are only one of a couple of breeds of penguins that are monogamous, and when they find their perfect mate...they mate for life."

"Yeah I remember you telling me that when you gave me him." I say whilst feeling my eyes glaze over.

"And that when the male Gentoo penguin is searching for his mate, he searches through piles and piles of stones and pebbles to find the smoothest, most perfect one for her." He says quietly to me and I nod as the first few happy tears slip down my cheeks, and he pulls me closer to him. "Then when he has selected his pebble, he presents it to his intended mate. If she approves, she'll then put the stone in her nest and they'll be together for the rest of their lives."

"I remember."

"Well I've already given you our pebble, but I wanted to give you something that is a little more permanent."

At this point I couldn't speak; I knew if I did I'd break down completely.

Ash leant over and picked up the box that was on the table and held it out in front of me. "I love you so much Lou. It actually scares me a little how much I love you. I honestly didn't think this could happen, that my best friend in the whole world could love me back and mean this much to me. I'm just sorry it took me so long to realise what was right in front of me all along."

"We got here in the end though, so that's all that matters." I whisper and he nods.

"And I'm so glad we did. Have you heard of a knot ring Lou?"

"Err...no."

"Well, it's a ring that symbolises a knot that is not quite tied yet, but has all the intentions of being tied one day. It's another word for a promise ring." He says opening the box in front of me.

"I know you're leaving in about twelve hours' time for an opportunity that I know will open so many doors for your professional future. But I want this ring to be the start of our future together."

"Oh Ash..." I whisper whilst full on crying. I couldn't believe what I was hearing him say.

"I know I said we were too young to think about getting married right now, and I still think that...but I want it to be something we get to do in our future. So this is my promise to you right now if you'll accept it. Be my forever girl? Will you marry me one day?"

"I'd love to." I cried out before kissing him. I wrap my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist as he wrapped his arms around me, keeping me close. We just stayed like this for a few moments, wrapped up in each other.

"I love you." I whisper against his lips as we pull apart slightly.

"I love you too." He replies whist gently putting me down.

"It's a claddagh ring; traditionally given in Ireland as a token of love." Ash says gently pulling the ring out of the box. It was beautiful.

"I've had it engraved inside the band as well saying 'my forever girl'." He grins showing it to me before sliding it onto my third finger on my right hand.