VIII. Mega Man

I snapped twigs and pieces of wood from the trees. Sonic was right; it was freezing outside. Even I was feeling cold, and I was a robot. My armor only kept me slightly warmer, as Sonic's fur kept some of his heat in. But a fire was necessary for us to stay alive.

I touched my hand against a tree, thinking of Father. It wasn't like he had ordered me to go and save Sonic from his doom; I wasn't sure he would think it had been the right choice. He might even be punished for my own choice. I imagined his face full of anguish; there was no way for him to find out where I was, as there was no way for me to find out where he was. There was no camera following me. Neither him nor Roll could watch me. For all I knew he had been killed.

With anger energizing me, I snapped a huge branch from a tree. I hadn't meant to, but it was sitting in my hand, as if representing the bubbling feeling inside of me. For seconds, I watched a bug travel across the branch, wondering what had just happened and where its home was. It was probably more confused than I was. I dropped the part of the tree; I didn't even want to look at it.

I came back with some wood in my hands, setting the pieces altogether in a bunch. I glanced at Sonic, who had his eyes closed and was shivering. His arms were crossed and he looked tired. A small pool of blood was on the ground from his leg. With a single thought, I turned into Fire Man, lighting the sticks on fire. He looked up as I did, as if he hadn't expected it. His face was already looking better, though his eye was still badly bruised. "That... that was my last use..." I sighed, sitting down, feeling the warmth caress me. I was grateful for it, but without my power of Fire Man, I was lost. We wouldn't be able to live out there long. I pulled my legs close to me, my knees bent towards the sky.

I had to see what other powers I had. I wondered if there was anything I could have used to get the bullets out of Sonic. Before, I had only thought about it for a second, so I wasn't completely sure which ones I had. I switched from power to power, wondering what I could possibly use. Nearly all of them would be useless. Then, I came to Metal Man's power for the third time, and I took out a plate. The sharp edges would have been perfect, but the shape was still a disk. I then turned into Gut Man, bending the plate into various shapes, figuring which one would work best. I just barely had enough power for it. When I had finished with the plate, it looked like a knife. And I had no more of Gut Man's power left.

"I found something I can use to get the bullets out, Sonic!" I shouted to him, excited.

He looked up at it, then said, "Great."

He didn't move when I walked over to him, examining his shoulder. He only watched the sharp piece get closer and closer to him, his face expressionless. The bullet was deep inside, and I didn't exactly know what I was supposed to do. "Okay... here goes!" I shouted, carefully putting the knife inside the muscle of his shoulder.

I was so incredibly glad I wasn't a doctor. With each bullet, I had to cut through some parts of his tissues, and he wasn't pleased with it. He was in obvious agony, but he made no attempt to show it. He never really winced or anything; it was all hidden in his eyes. Either he was being brave, or the chill had just gotten to him badly. The pain also made me glad I wasn't human. I could feel pain, but not as badly as humans or animals could. Plus, I was wearing armor.

One of the bullets had gone through the bone of his leg just below the knee, and it was terrible to hear his screams as my knife scraped against his bone. I don't think I've ever said sorry so many times. It was absolutely terrible. I wanted to go back to the city and get revenge on all those cops right then!

"There..." I finally said with a sigh. I was relieved. "All done."

"Thanks." He said, still holding his arm that had been shot twice. I felt bad having to mutilate him, but then again, I wasn't in great shape either. Rush was sitting by Sonic, as if trying to keep the hedgehog warm. My dog hadn't been shot once, by some miracle. Sonic sat still, not moving. I was pretty sure he had fallen asleep sitting up.