|eight|

Rika was far away, she knew she blacked out from blood loss, but what she was pulled under, was the ocean that was her mind. She could hear Leia panicking somewhere near the surface, but her eyes and her limbs were so heavy. She almost fluttered her eyes open before she was dragged beneath the waves again.

"Come along Padawans," Master Luke called out. "We're creating lightsabers today."

Rika smiled. She remembered that day.

She and Ben, not Kylo Ren, not yet, jumped up, excited to hear the news. So did the couple other Padawans their age, they had trained immensely for the last months, in hopes that Master Luke would allow them to make their weapon. "Let's go!" Ben beamed, Rika beamed back.

She could hear Leia barking orders, but her face was buried in something soft and strong, furry arms held her tightly. Chewie, she thought. I wish Poe was here...

"Oh my god!" The younger Rika squealed, "I can't believe we're going to be doing this! I'm so excited!"

Master Luke laughed. And then they walked into the main training hall. He then took out pouches of crystals, and the younger Rika, the one she had always wanted to be, being the kind and gentle girl she was, let all of the others go first before her.

It was awhile before they were all finished. Ben made a green lightsaber, as vibrant as the grass outside the temple. Hesitantly, she approached the table, but her heart sank as she saw that there were only pieces of the other crystals the others had used and scraped off before her.

Guess I'll have to wait another year until the year below us gets to make to make their lightsabers. She thought sorrowfully.

"There's always next time," Ben smiled at her gently, and Rika smiled back thinly.

Rika turned to Master Luke. "Shall we clean this up?" She tried to sound upbeat, despite her mood.

But Master Luke just smiled. "Fear not, youngling," he says, "for there are than one way to make a lightsaber." He grins while Rika stare dumbfounded at him. He just kept smiling. "Go gather the stray pieces of crystal, Leriana." He gestures to Rika while she trudged away.

"Mysterious old man." She grumbles underneath her breath as she picked up the scatter pieces of the leftover crystals while her fellow Padawans had long since ran off, showing off their own lightsabers to their friends.

I will never hear the end of this. Rika sighs. Once she had gathered the pieces she headed back to Master Luke in the temple.

The noises and sounds from the surface of the water are louder now, but no matter how hard she kicked, how desperately she swam, she never seemed to reach or get any closer to the stretch of light that promised safety and air.

"Master Luke!" Rika walks into his room, her arms full of small pieces of different colored crystals.

When he sees her and her crystals, he grins. "Well done, Leriana. We will now begin constructing your lightsaber."

Rika frowns at her master. "But, I thought--"

Luke holds up a hand. "There are many different types of lightsabers," he explains, then grins slyly. "And you, my dear, is special, so therefore, you shall receive a special lightsaber." He then began taking the pieces out of her arms and began piecing them together.

"Aha!" Master Luke cries, drawing the attention of other Padawans while he finished putting the crystals together, he then held out the largest piece of crystal -- a clear white one and slid it in with the previous crystals he had put together.