37

We don't want to be like them. We can make it till the end. Nothing can come between. You & I...

You & I - One Direction

ISABELLA

I've always wondered if it was possible to stand still for an amount of time, that it seemed as if everything else grew still. You stood so still, so quiet, that the world around you becomes silent, and that the only thing that is screaming is your restless mind. It had always been a passing thought. It was something that I wondered, but never found myself in a situation to test my theory.

That was until this moment. Right now, as I stood in front of my parents home, with an overnight bag in one hand, and a can of cranberry sauce in the other.

The wind was especially frigid tonight. Maybe it was because it was a late December evening, or it was because of what was to happen.

I looked at my watch. Six fifty-eight. It was two more minutes until I was due to arrive. I had spent the long car ride over debating whether or not I should come in late. I knew that my father was a stickler for time. He had preached since I was a child that importance of being on time. It showed professionalism and responsibility. Even if I was only two minutes late to an engagement, he would have my head.

At the time I didn't care. But now, what with everything that I knew, I didn't want to do anything that would cause more trouble.

Six fifty-nine.

With a deep breath, I knocked against the hard wood. My knuckles tingled at the sensation. I waited for the familiar clinking of heels that would belong to either a maid or my mother.

I was surprised to see neither of the two but Natalia. I had spent the night at Harry's and hadn't seen Nat at all. There was a sense of relief that flooded through me.

"Hey, you're here. Good," she opened the door wide enough to let me in. I stepped through the familiar threshold. Memories of my time here only a few weeks prior came rushing back to me. I held my breath for a second, hoping my heart would calm down.

I knew that I had to put up a front. Dylan had advised me that it would be best to not let my father know exactly what I know. I had to act as if everything was fine; as if it was normal.

"They're in the sitting room."

I followed her through the foyer. Our heels clicking agains the tiled floor.

It had been a tradition since I could even remember to dress up for Christmas Eve dinner. I was hesitant. I couldn't stomach the thought of being in the same room as the man who tried to murder my boyfriend. My stomach churned when I thought about the lengths that he has gone to try and ruin something that means everything to me. I still don't understand why he is out to ruin our lives. I still don't understand what I have done for him to have developed this hatred and animosity against me. But one thing I do understand, and that's this was not the man that I called my father.

"You okay?" whispered Natalia, as we stood a few feet away from the sitting room. I looked at her, hoping that my blank expression masked the fear that was dwelling inside me.

"Yeah, of course," I lied. I wasn't okay but I couldn't let her know that.

She searched my eyes for any sign of falsity, and I knew that she saw right through me. But she didn't say anything else. With a short nod, she led us the rest of the way.

The Christmas tree was lit with golden lights. Red and gold ornaments hung from each branch. It looked like something from a Martha Stewart catalogue. I knew that my mother had moved back home a month ago.