Prologue

"Run man, just run!"

Both boys bolted down the hall, their heavy footsteps pounding against the wooden floorboards.

"Stop, you two! Calling assistance, repeat calling assistance, targets are in the front hall, heading for the exit!"

Eli looked to his friend Caleb who was panting just as much as him. "Keep running! Here, turn here!"

They both turned a corner, only to immediately run into two officers holding their batons. "Stop right there, you're under arrest!"

The policemen jumped them both and tried to wrestle them down to the ground. They beat them with their batons, one of them striking Caleb square across the jaw.

Eli launched at the policeman and managed to break his hold on Caleb. He pushed Caleb out of the way when the second officer whipped his baton at him. As an end result, it hit Eli straight over his spine, causing him to collapse onto his knees with a hard groan.

"Get out of here, run!" He blindly shouted to Caleb who reluctantly backed away. "Just run, man, fucking go!"

With a last pained look at his friend, Caleb took a run for it, making it to the door. He escaped out into the open night.

Eli wrestled on the ground as the two policemen now forced him down, bringing his hands to his back. He felt a pair of cold, sharp cuffs clasp around his wrists.

"We got one of them. The other got away," One of the policemen spoke into his mic. "But we're bringing this one in. Stay there, punk."

"Fuck you!"

They hit him over the head with the baton again when he put up a fight. Black stars started to form in his vision. "Motherf—"

"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be held against you—"

"—Tits."

"Shut up!" The officer snarled. "You made a real mess, kid. This here is going to leave a real dent."

"That's what your wife told me last night."

"Shut your mouth!" The policeman roared and beat him with the baton again, striking him across the back of his head.

Blackening from the pain, Eli gutturally groaned and drew his lip back. "Are fucking crazy, stop fucking hitting me! Do it one more time and I'll fucking shove that stick up your ass where you found it!"

"Police van is rolling into the parking lot," A female voice said over their radio. "Is target secured?"

"Target secured," The policeman quipped back. "You're going down, punk."

• • •

Couldn't sleep tonight.