Growing up

Dear Snuffles,
did the dog escape again? Someone said they thought they'd seen him around London? I certainly hope you keep a close eye on him it's not safe for him to be running around on his own you know he or his little friend she's only a puppy and all...hope you're well, the first week back here's been terrible, I'm really glad it's the weekend
         We've got a new defense against the dark arts teacher, professor Umbridge. She's nearly as nice as your mum. I'm writing because that thing I wrote you about last summer happened again last night when I was doing a detention with Umbridge.
      We're all missing our biggest friend, we hope he'll be back soon.
Please write back quickly.
Best,
              Harry

Sirius couldn't quite keep the smile from his face as he tapped the rolled up missive on his thigh thoughtfully. Imagine his godson lecturing him to stay safe. Writing back might be a problem though especially with that horrid Umbridge woman around. A white hot fury filled him at the thought of the woman who had made his best friend and goddaughter's lives harder with her prejudice.

"Uncle Sirius? You ok? You're crushing Harry's letter..." Caelen whispered from her place on the sofa across from him.

Sirius glanced up having nearly forgotten he wasn't alone in his musings. "Oh yes sorry pup, just thinking."

The girl climbed into his lap snuggling into his arms as she often did these days. "Bout what?"

Sirius couldn't help but smile, as she'd become more comfortable around others Caelen's desire to be held and cuddled had become very apparent until it was commonplace to find her cuddled up to many of the order members, Mundungus and Moody excluded.

"Harry, apparently we weren't as sneaky as we thought we were when we snuck out the other day. Let's hope your dad doesn't find out we were spotted hmm?"

The pair glanced up towards the second floor both thinking of the exhausted man asleep upstairs. Remus had tumbled through the doors that morning fresh from a full moon spent amongst the other werewolves, needless to say he'd been battered and exhausted. Sirius had hurriedly patched him up as best he knew how and tucked him into his own bed before slipping quietly into Remus' usual room to curl up near Caelen. "Was he alright?" The girl asked worriedly for the dozenth time in the last twenty minutes.

"Just tired pup, I patched him up alright I promise. Who you think took care of him when we were kids?" He asked almost indignity.

"I dunno probably uncle James," the girl teased quickly, "daddy says you're unreliable and pigheaded."

"Hey!" Sirius exclaimed in mock hurt, "I resent that! I'll admit to the pigheadedness but I'm very reliable."

Caelen eyed her godfather skeptically, her large brown eyes sparkly with humor. "So how you gonna respond to Harry?" She questioned changing the subject just in time to avoid being tickled.

The black haired man sighed glancing once more at the, now battered, parchment. "I dunno."

"Why not use the fire?" The girl suggested, nodding towards the dying embers, "You've done that before yeah?"

"How do you know I've done that before?" Sirius questioned curiously.

"Harry told me last year, I was worried about you he said you were ok, that he'd talked to you in the fireplace. He says it's weird seeing a head in the flames." Caelen admitted reaching towards Sirius' forgotten butterbear lying on the table beside them.