Things We Lost in the Fire

I watched Damon lay on a table as Bonnie chanted above him. I slowly shook my head as Stefan, Matt, Caroline and I all stood or sat around them before Bonnie opened her eyes and slowly shook her head down at Damon in defeat. "The spell's not working. I don't understand—It's like the stone is hiding his spirit." Bonnie stated looking up at me and I looked away.

"Then maybe you should take a break, okay? You've been trying all day." Matt suggested from behind me.

"She can't, alright? The longer he stays in there, the more damaged he'll be when he gets out." Stefan warned, pacing back and forth and shook my head at him.

"And whose fault is that?" Bonnie asked standing up in annoyance and I closed my eyes, not wanting to listen to it anymore. "You of all people don't get to lecture me." Bonnie added scoffing at him.

"Hey, hey, it's okay." Caroline reassured, standing up from where she sat relaxing. "We're all just a little bit stressed right now—so let's take a deep breath and we can start again when Bonnie's ready." Care added and I slowly opened my eyes and looking back down at Damon.

"I don't get it. We pulled Stefan out, no problem. What's different now?" Matt asked looking around all of us confused.

"Because he's not ready yet." I stated emotionlessly and I felt all of their eyes fall on me.. It was the first time I've spoke in weeks. To any of them.

"When I was in there, I could barely remember who I was—I was hit with the visions and the tests. But the worst part of hell, isn't what you're going through... It's a sliver of hope that you can actually get out on your own." Stefan stated looking down at Damon in wonder and I sighed, turning away again.

"How come we had no trouble reuniting your soul with your body?" Bonnie asked Stefan furrowing her eyebrows as frustration filled her voice.

"Because eventually, he submitted to the kind of suffering that just breaks you." I answered, looking towards Stefan who stared back at me before looking looking away. "Knowing Damon, he'll do anything he can to avoid that kind of pain.. Which means-" I stated, cutting myself off at the mere thought. "-we may never be able to get him out." I finished as I stared at Damon before I walked out of the room quickly.
~~~~

I sighed in defeat as I closed my eyes, holding Damon's hand reassuringly after I placed the Phoenix stone on his chest. "What are you doing?" Bonnie asked from behind me, coming into the room with Stefan, Matt and Caroline.

"I need to try—You're weak and you've been trying. I've just been staring at him and waiting but I've been waiting for three months.. I-I need to try doing the spell." I stated emotionlessly before I started chanting the spell over in my head. I closed my eyes as I felt my whispers move throughout the room around me as everything inside me welled into magic. I heard whispers from the Phoenix stone, as if souls were talking back to me. I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to focus in on each of the voices, searching for Damon's before I heard a gasp from beside me and I furrowed my eyebrows, becoming silent. I slowly opened my eyes to see Damon's pretty blue ones looking back up at me.

"No." Damon whispered looking around the room in confusion. "No." He repeated over and over again in distress. "We weren't done." Damon stated sitting up quickly, catching the Phoenix stone in his hand. "We weren't done—I got to get her back, I got to get her back." Damon stated over and over as he looked over each one of us and I knelt beside him, holding his face in my hands.

"Hey—hey, Damon." I reassured as he looked at me confused. "It's me, okay? You're safe, Damon." I nodded and watched as he just stared back at me, slowly shaking his head.

"No.. No. One more time—One more time." Damon whispered holding my face with his hand. "Send me back—I know what to do. I know what to do." Damon replied nodding and I furrowed my eyebrows.