And Then There Was Four

Ithilwen's POV

Where on Middle-Earth are they? I had seen them walking this way. Frodo had wondered off and Boromir had followed him. The same glint in his eyes that I had seen when we were going through the Pass of Caradhras. 

 I needed to find them, to help Boromir. The ring was possessing him. He is a good honest man, I can see it. But his desire to want to do good has led to him believing the only option is to use the ring. 

Suddenly I heard a male voice I recognized as Boromir just up ahead, " none of us should wander alone; you least of all. So much depends on you...Frodo?" 

 Oh no, I can hear the shift in his voice, I may be too late but I have to try and help him. 

 " I know why you seek solitude. You suffer, I see it day by day. Are you sure you do not suffer needlessly?" That's it. I had to do something. Running to Frodo I stood in front of him facing Boromir.

"Enough Boromir!" I say sternly and he looks at me glaring. "This is not you, it is the ring talking! Please fight the control it has on you!" My voice is not more than a whisper now as I beg him to fight. 

"I ask only for the strength to defend my people. If he would only lend me the ring..." he replies as he steps forwards. 

 I back away pushing Frodo gently so he stayed behind me. 

 "Why do you recoil? I am no thief." His face grows more angry. 

 "You are not yourself!" Frodo says calmly. 

 "What chance do you think you have? They will find you, they will take the ring and you will beg for death before the end." 

 Turning to Frodo but still keeping space between us and Boromir I whisper to him gently, "Frodo leave, get away from this place, the quest must be completed. Only you can do this." 

 He nods and turns to leave. "You fool! It is not yours save by unhappy chance...it might have been mine. It should be mine. Give it to me! Give me the ring." 

 Boromir rushes forwards and I quickly tackle him to the ground, "Run Frodo!" I yell not looking up from the man now fully consumed by power. 

 " I see your mind...you will take the ring to Sauron. You will betray us! You go to your death and the death of us all. Curse you! Curse you and your Half lings!" He yells as he tries to throw me off him. 

 I hold steady shaking his shoulder's, "BOROMIR ENOUGH!" I scream still holding him but quickly losing the battle. 

 Quick as a whip his hand lashes out and before I understand what is happening I am on the ground holding my cheek as Boromir stares wide eyed at the hand that had just struck me.

Tears fill my eyes as I can feel my cheek beginning to bruise. I turn my head to look in the direction I had last seen Frodo, sighing in relief when I saw no sign of him. A hand gently touches my face and I quickly recoil. 

 "Ithilwen..I..." Boromir stutters not knowing what to say. Again I offer him a small smile but the action makes me wince from pain. 

 "Do not worry Boromir, I am a big girl and I will heal. I am happy you are back, I didn't hurt you did I?" My voice was laced with pain and concern. He let out a small laugh that sounded to close to a sob. 

"You ask about my health when I am the one who struck you? Others would not care for me," he cried and I hugged him tightly. 

 "Boromir while your actions did scare me I know you were not of your own mind. For this you can be forgiven, do not blame yourself."