Victory! But a sad one at that.

Legolas' POV

They had done it. Frodo and Sam had destroyed the ring. Sauron was gone forever. Never to harm another living soul. We are on our way back to Gondor. Gandalf flew ahead on the Eagles. Taking Frodo and Sam to be healed. My heart was light. I had made up my mind that when we returned to Gondor I would tell Ithilwen of my feelings for her. That I love her too. She make my heart glow. She makes this world seem bright and cheer full. No matter the challenges she faces, she always comes out alive.

Gandalf's POV

Frodo and Sam were being tended to and I had decided to visit Ithilwen to tell her the good new. Sauron was gone forever. He could no longer cause her pain. 

 As I approached her room I saw Eowyn exiting. Her face was pale and her eyes were red and puffy. I figured she had been mourning with Ithilwen over the death of Theoden King. 

 When she looked up tears filled her eyes and she ran to me. 

 "Gandalf! I'm sorry, I could not help her!" She sobbed and my heart grew heavy. What on earth could she be talking about. Aragorn already healed Ithilwen. 

 "She was glowing. Cuts were appearing on her arm. Than the...the glowing stopped and...and.. oh Gandalf I could not save her. The wound came from no where. She is gone!" Her cries grew louder as 

Boromir's younger brother Faramir approached. Taking her from my arms as she continued to weep. Running quickly I burst into the room that held Ithilwen to find her gone. 

 "Where is she?" I yell. 

 "Her body glowed white before it faded to nothing," Faramir explained calmly.

My legs could no longer support me and I fell to my knees before her now empty bed. "Did she say anything? Before she died." 

 Eowyn nodded her head, "she told me to tell Legolas she loved him." 

 I sighed as tears fell from my eyes. This would break the hearts of all who had met her, no matter how short the time had been spent with her.

It was nightfall when the soldiers walked through the gates of Gondor. I heard several footsteps running towards the room I had not left all day. 

 Eowyn kept me informed of Frodo and Sams progress. 

 Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn burst into the room, followed shortly by Merry and Pippin. All of them eager to tell the young women the good news. They looked around and when they found only me 

Gimli voiced their unasked question, "where is the young lass? Is she walking around the castle?" My face grew sad once more as I held there gaze until I no longer could bare it. 

 "She is no longer apart of this world," my voice broke as I gave them the bad news. "She battled Sauron and lost her life doing so." 

 Chocked sobs came from the door as I looked up to see Pippin and Merry on the floor crying. Aragorn and Gimli had tears running down there dirty faces. But it was Legolas' reaction that was most heartbreaking.

He looked like the very life of Middle-Earth had been taken away before his very eyes. The pain that was in his deep blue eyes was even worse than the pain I had seen in them when his mother died. 

That's when realization hit me. Ithilwen was his Fay mate. And now she was gone. He was suffering a pain far worse than death right now. 

 "Where is her body?" came the small voice of Pippin. 

"Shortly after she had drawn her last breath she was engulfed in white light. Her body vanished before my eyes. She left you a message Legolas before she died." It was Eowyn to speak this time. 

 No one even reacted to the fact she had come from no where. Legolas looked towards her with dead eyes. "She said to tell you she loves you." 

 It was then that Legolas crumbled. Falling to the floor as the most gut wrenching sobs overcame him. Burying his head in his hands he cried. 

 Aragorn went to comfort him but I knew no comfort could be given. For when an Elf loses his Fay mate he will only ever be half complete.

Today had been a victory for all Middle-Earth, but that victory was now a grief ridden one.