The Maze Runner: Romeo & Juliet

It was only minutes after midnight. Everything was still and quiet. The whole Glade had seemed to have fallen asleep, including the restless and strict leaders. Both Y/N and Newt have been waiting for this moment. It was the only time they could meet up, when nobody was watching.

They loved each other. They really did. At first, Newt refused to admit he ever felt anything for the girl, since it was punishable by a death sentence; a night in the Maze. When he realized he loved her, he tried everything to try to hate her. Not only to protect himself, but also to protect her. He didn't want her to suffer all because of him. The pair had fallen so deeply in love with each other, they eventually found a way to see each other. Like this.

Y/N slipped out of bed, tip-toeing towards the forest. She had to make sure she didn't wake anybody up. The image of an angry Alby or Gally frightened her to death. Seeing Newt every night like this was life-threatening, but she really wanted to see him, to talk to him. To be with him.

She finally reached the particular spot they always met at, waiting silently. Newt wasn't there yet. She waited patiently, her foot tapping over the large pile of leaves. She closed her eyes, her ears open to the rustling leaves way above her head.

She almost screamed when someone had wrapped their arms around her waist. Luckily, she turned her head in time to realize it was only Newt. She lightly slapped his arm in slight annoyance.

"You scared me to death, you idiot. I thought I had been caught." Y/N felt her heart still beating fast. She felt so afraid of the idea of getting caught.

Newt held her close. Close enough to hear her breathe uneasily. "We've been doing this for over a week, and haven't been caught even once. There's nothing to be afraid of. You're forgetting who's second-in-command, here."

Y/N shrugged, "I know that, but there's still Alby. He'd still punish us, and you know that. Seeing each other like this is dangerous, you know."

"Yet you still want to do it, am I right?" Newt raised an eyebrow, his hands finding its way to reach Y/N's. He squeezed it, somehow bringing warmth to her heart.

"Of course, I do. I do want to see you. I love you." she paused a bit, allowing Newt to respond an "I love you too". "But what happens when Alby does catch us, Newt? What happens then?"

Newt was quiet for a bit. He released her hands, pulling her into another tight embrace. He definitely took advantage of the night to hold her like he couldn't in the day time. Getting caught would mean banishment.

"Then we'll fight. They can do what they want, but will it ever separate us, Y/N?"