8:40 p.m.

Maya got frustrated around the eleventh text to Josh so she decided to talk to Riley. Maya looked up from her phone, "Riley?" "Yeah Maya?" Riley said, looking up at her best friend, when she saw Maya's sad and confused expression she followed with, "woah, what's wrong?" and walked to the bay window to sit next to her. Maya let out a breath and said, "Riley, Josh never ignores me. He always answers his texts, he can be studying for the biggest test in the world, or doing something really important that needs to get done, or even sleeping, he'll check his phone when it says he got a text and every text I sent him, he always answered. He's been ignoring me today. So do you know anything? Did he get his phone taken? Is it not working? Did something happen to him? Riley, he's your uncle, do you know anything?" Riley sighed and looked down at her feet saying, "Maya, I'm sorry. I don't know anything. I don't know why in the world he would ever be ignoring you. If you want, you can call my grandma, she should know what's going on with her own son." Maya looked at Riley and said, "Thank you Riles, can I get the number?" Riley nodded and handed Maya her phone with her grandma's number on the screen. Maya dialed the number and Mrs. Matthews picked up, "Hello?" "Hi Mrs. Matthews, um it's Maya." "Oh hi sweetie, what's up?" "Uh, Josh has been kinda ignoring me all day and he's never done that so I was kinda just wondering if you knew if something was going on with him that would explain why he isn't answering." she asked, with hope in her voice. "No, honey, I'm sorry, uh oh he had a big history test coming up, he always studies with his tutor, he said he would be home around 7, but it's almost 8 now, I'm getting a little worried. Um I'm gonna call Anna and then I'll call you back when I find out where he is okay?" Amy answered, sounding nervous. "Okay. Thank you Mrs. Matthews. I'll talk to you later. Bye." Maya responded, hanging up the phone. Riley looked up Maya and asked, "So? What happened?" Maya started looking pissed and answered, "She said that she thinks he's at his tutors house and that he should've been home almost an hour ago." "Maya, I'm sorry. Josh isn't usually like this. It's really strange, I don't know what's gonna happen." "It's okay, it's not your fault Riley. We'll just have to see." Meanwhile, Mrs. Matthews called Anna and while Anna and Josh were making out, the phone started ringing. "Ugh. Hold on babe." she said getting up to get the phone, "What?!" she yelled into the phone. "Anna Grace Johnson, do you even know who this is?!" Mrs. Matthews yelled back. "Oh! Mrs. Matthews! Hi! I'm sorry ma'am. I didn't know it was you!!" "Okay dear, did Josh come over today?" Mrs. Matthews said, trying to sound sweet. "Yeah! He did! Um we were just studying for that big history test." she said, fake smiling. "Oh okay dear, thank you. Um can I speak to Josh for a minute?" the mother asked. "Yeah sure." She called Josh over, Josh came and took the phone, "Hey mom." He said. "Joshua Matthews! You need to get your butt home as soon as possible. You told me an HOUR ago that you would be home! It's 8:15 and you said you would be home at 7! It doesn't take someone over 4 hours to study for a test. This test isn't even big you told me it's over one chapter! So I don't know what you've been doing for the past 4 hours but I do know you need to get home! Say goodbye to Anna and leave! If you're not home by 8:45 you will be grounded until you go to college!" she yelled through the phone. "Alright! Mom! I'm coming home! Calm down! Please! Calm down!" he hung up and threw the phone at Anna and said, "I gotta go Anna, my mom needs me, bye." He slammed the door and jumped into his car. He drove as fast as he could without getting a ticket. At 8:40 he drove up to his house and walked in the door. Amy ordered Josh into the family room and then her and Alan went upstairs. Josh stumbled into the family room and he saw a short blonde who looked more beat up then she'd ever been before.