A Girl

Silence was something that could kill. I never thought that this was a way of torturing the human mind and soul, until now. George brought Paige's parents two hours ago and all they did was stare at me with shock and fear in their eyes. I didn't protect their daughter, I failed them. I couldn't look them in the eyes.
   When the doctor came back we all got on our feet and surrounded him. He breathed in heavily and took of his glasses.
"We did the best we could..." Her mother let out a cry that pierced my heart. "But the damage on her head was too big, she needs to rest so she can fully recover." We all let out a heavy exhale.
"Thank God!" Her father mumbled and hugged his wife, as she cried on his shoulder.
"As for the baby, it is unharmed by a miracle."
"Thank you, Doctor." Mrs. Daniels sniffed and bowed her head several times.
"Baby?" My family and I asked in sync.
"Well yes, she told you a month ago..." Sybil said and I stared at her as if I was going crazy.
"No?"
"Oh my, Paige." She gasped and placed a hand on her mouth.
"Uhm... only relatives and go and see her. Excuse me." The doctor walked away and left us staring at each other speechless.
"Sybil, I want to see her!" I took her hands in mine and placed then on my chest, hoping she will feel my heartbeat.
"Fred, I-I..."
"Please!"
"I'll go speak with the Doctor." She went to look for him, while I returned to my sitting position, but this time I sat as if I was shot by a gun.
"I am going to be a father..." I whispered and looked at my mum. "Why didn't she tell me?" Then I looked at Mr. Daniels.
"She said she told you..."
My mother started sobbing for some reason and when I looked back at her she hugged me and then started to spread butterfly kisses all over my face. Soon everyone realized what we all just found out and joy was spread in the hall, the only one still in shock was I.
"He said that you can go and see her, but you have ten minutes. We will stay with her in the night." Sybil placed a hand on my shoulder and gave me a warm smile. "Please, don't be mad at her." I just gave a nod and followed the nurse who led me to Paige's room.
   When I saw her brought happiness that she is alive and sadness that she was in pain. I sat on the chair beside her bed and took her hand. Her beautiful blue eyes open up slowly and she gave me a weak smile.
"Hey, love." I took her hand to my lips and kissed her knuckles.
"H-Hey." Her eyes were halfway closed and I could see that it took her a lot of effort to keep them open and speak.
"I found out I am going to be a father." I chuckled, finally realizing what was happening. A single tear of regret rolled down on her cheek and I shushed her, caressing her hair. "It's alright, love. I am not mad. I wish you could have told me and not hid it from me, but I am sure you will tell me why when you feel better." Her smile made me smile as well. "What is it? A boy? A girl?" She gave me a nod.
"A girl?" She nodded again and I raised my hands in the air. "Yes! I am going to have a baby girl!" She smiled brightly at me and more tears began to roll down.
"I love you." I pecked her forehead and wiped away the streaming tears.
"I love you too." The words came out in a faint whisper, which I barely heard.
"It's all over now, love. We will be a family. No more darkness." Her smile was giving me the strength and energy which I needed at this moment. "When you're out of here I am never leaving your side again, Daniels." I pecked her hand and looked back at her. "Never again." Her eyes started to close slowly and I told her to rest now. I pecked her lips and left her to sleep.
At the information desk my whole family awaited for me to give them the news of the baby.
"IT'S A GIRL!" I reached out with my hands victoriously and all clapped and laughed of joy. My mother began to hug and kiss me again, unable to control her happiness.
   Few minutes later we all left Paige's parents to go and finally see their daughter. On my way back home I repeated in my head that I was going to have a girl, and I was filled up with joy. I wasn't even angry at her, I wanted to, but my happiness was bigger. I wanted to do something for Paige, something that will surprise her as much as she did today and I think an idea came to me, I just hope I have the time to do it before she leaves the hospital.