Chapter Fifty-Eight ۞ Captive

Avaro was angered, and that was an understatement. He was a usually a patient lion, but his eyes were a pair of blazing sapphires the moment the intruders approached. Valeriana had instinctively drawn her sword and got into a fighting stance, ready to defend herself.

She felt worried for Corvan if ever he was discovered—but that was far from happening. The guy had stealth, Valeriana and Gavin apparently did not. Seeing as Gavin wasn't skilled with weapons, she and Avaro would have to do all of the fighting.

'Get behind me, lheuim ansur. Tell the cousin of heilm juaire to do so as well.' Avaro told her, and she obliged happily as Avaro stepped forward with his teeth bared.

"We have to get behind him."

The boy who alerted the others had the brightest shade of red for his hair and dark, sun-kissed skin. He was shirtless in exception for a white sash thrown over his shoulder. He had on a pair of balloon pants and a pair of matching shoes, his staff in front of him.

"Amazing!" He exclaimed, his eyes lighting up. "A twin-tailed lion!"

Avaro remained cautious of him and flexed his wings as he stepped forward, the growl resounding in his chest.

"Is he your familiar?" He asked excitedly, looking over to Gavin.

"No." Gavin answered unhesitatingly. "He belongs to this girl."

Valeriana gave him a look of confusion while he merely gave her a knowing look that said she had to playing along. Unable to understand why, she turned her gaze over to the boy just in time to see a taller man make his appearance. He had a beard, had narrow eyes, and was dressed similarly except he had on a collared throw-over. Valeriana wasn't familiar with the term, but it resembled a polo, only cut below the chest and was an open garment.

"What kind of fuss are you making, Omar? I heard a roar." He grumpily asked before his eyes landed on the group. A lop-sided smirk tugged on his lips. "What do we have here? A fine, young woman and a—holy god. Is that a twin-tailed lion? So it wasn't a fluke!"

"Anyway, we can't have them running around. We'll get killed if we let them run free." He drew his weapon, the rusty blade crunchily shifting against the sheath. The sound made Valeriana's stomach turn as she tightened her grip on her own weapon.

'I am afraid I cannot allow that. Run!' Avaro unfurled his wings in a domineering manner, dropping his jaws to release a bout of fire that burst, hot, blue flames to the direction of their enemy.

"Step aside, Omar." The taller guy pushed the smaller one away and ducked as well.

Taking Gavin's wrist into her hands, she pulled her with him and started their escape. Corvan's cousin felt the urgency and tagged along without any protest.

When they got considerably far, Gavin was panting like a dog. Valeriana didn't feel as tired as the guy she was with, reminding her of the time when she was lagging behind the Twelve. Her endurance improved a lot during those four months.

"Don't you exercise?" Valeriana held her weapon ready in front of her as they sank behind a rock to hide. "We didn't even run that far."

Gavin shrugged. "I take the stairs sometimes."

The ground then trembled beneath them that Valeriana had to latch onto the boulder behind her as support. Gavin clumsily followed as the ground they were sitting on started to crack.

"Go!"

The fifth-ranker grabbed Corvan's cousin by the collar and threw him away, causing him to stumble and roll over. The earth crumbled and Valeriana almost fell in if she hadn't managed to embrace the edge. Unfortunately, in order to accommodate her weight, she had to let go of her sword. It fell on the ditch below with a clang. Her feet dangled and she grimaced as she strained her muscles to pull herself up. She looked down and realized that even if she fell, she would not fall too far since the ground did not sink too deep. Even so, she would have a hard time trying to find her way out.