Chapter Eighty-Six Messages

I sat in the library and finished my cup of chamomile tea along with a few pieces of shortbread. I wanted to give Faith and Philip enough time to settle into their rooms before I sought Leah. I looked down at the parcel still in my hand and turned it about. I wondered what could be inside. It was much too small to be a doll and that is all that Lady Edgehill seemed to think Leah enjoyed. It was more the size of the cameo that Percival slipped to me. The rush of that memory caught me and I inhaled deeply as I stashed the package into my pocket.

I collected the cups and placed them on the tray and then gingerly carried it to the kitchen, "Thank you, Charlotte," I kept my voice low as she was bustling about.

"Is everything al'right, dearie?" she rushed to take the tray from my hands and looked lovingly at me.

"It will be," I nodded and tried to smile. "I will take the back stairs to Miss Edgehill's room. I will probably be there for some time."

"Shall I send . . ."

"Not right now," I stopped her with a pat on the hand, "I will ring if we require anything." Once she agreed, I gave her a peck on the cheek and then quietly headed for the stairs. As of late I seemed to prefer coming and going this way, less chance to be noticed . . . less of a chance to be stopped.

Leah was sitting at her desk with the door still open, she was writing fervently. I stood in the doorway and observed her for a moment; she was quite lovely, even more now that she has begun to come into her own. She stopped and sat up, looking over her words. Her mouth twisted into an odd shape and she tilted her head a bit. "You look like you're lost on a map," I snickered.

"Oh Margaret!" she gasped, "How long have you been standing there?" I came into the room and closed the door. "I'm not sure which is the best way to go about this . . . just a smitten young lady that spied him at a party or maybe a spurned lover?"

"Leah?" I choked as I was setting a chair beside her, "We're just trying to find him . . . "

She sighed and set the parchment on the desk, "I know, but which would be more likely to get to him?"

I let my eyes drift over the room, "It's not him that we're trying to reach, it's his parents so that they will find him."

"How about 'your son left something in my possession and I shall like to return it to him?' It is vague and holds no hint of scandal," she offered with a sly smile.

I shook my head with a laugh, "You really learned well, haven't you?"

Leah proceeded to write the words and then sealed the letter, "Can we take this to the post now?"

Part of me wanted to run it into town myself, anything to get it to him as fast as I could, but I know Freddie would not let me. "We can ring for someone," I breathed, "meanwhile, I have this for you." I produced the parcel from my pocket and set it on the desk.

Leah's eyes brightened as the smile crossed her face, "Margaret, you did not have to get me anything!" She started to fumble with the package.

"Oh, no, it is not from me," I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear as I looked into my lap. She is a good friend and perhaps I did owe her a present for that. "Faith gave me this to give to you; it's from your mother."

She stilled instantly and set it down before moving across the room towards the window, "Oh," was all she said.

"Leah, don't you want to open it?"

She stared out of the window but she wasn't looking at anything specific, "I don't think so. I am not ready to deal with her."

I spun the package around in front of me, "I know, but you really aren't dealing with her, it's just a gift."

Leah turned to me, "To you it's a gift. To my mother, it's a promise . . . it's a tie to her . . . a link." She slowly moved to her bed and sat, her arms wrapped around herself protectively, "You don't know her as well as I do . . . and considering how well you got to know our family this summer; that is saying something. I just don't want it."

I thought for a few moments, "Would you like to send it back to her? It would send her a message."

She thought for a moment, I could see it behind her eyes. "Yes," she asserted, her posture becoming straight and strong with confidence, "can we put it in something so she knows that I did get it. I want her to know that it's being returned by me." Leah stood up with determination as she looked about the room.

I had to smile to myself, remembering the shy girl that I met at the beginning of the Season. She hardly spoke then but still had her moments of wisdom reaching far beyond her years. She would have sooner ducked out of site or hid rather than confront. This was not the young woman I saw before me now. "Would you like one of my handkerchiefs?"

"But Isaac gave those to you," she worried.

"And your mother is very aware of that now," I assured her, "and she has to know that you are with me otherwise why give it to Faith?"

"I think you should keep them," she pressed her thumb against her lip.

I crossed the room and took her hands in mine, "I don't think he would mind me losing one like this . . . having you stand up to her." After a moment or two Leah finally nodded in agreement and I had her ring for a servant as I fetched one of my violet embroidered handkerchiefs.

We wrapped it quickly and got it ready for its journey, along with the letter to Isaac's other family. As we watched the items leave our hands, we both let out a deep breath. We both had much to gain or lose.

Leah turned and moved to her bed, hugging a pillow in her arms. "You weren't even a tiny bit curious as to what was in the package?" I pried sitting beside her.

"I know exactly what it was," she shrugged.

"How?" I gaped, "I mean what was it?"

"It's my birthday present."