⎡25⎦

The carriage ride to Hogwarts was slow as the rain poured down. When we arrived at the school, I got out of the carriage and gave the thestral a quick pet before leaving. We all went into the Great Hall and sat down. Draco sat down next to me with his friends. I noticed he was wearing the ring I got him for his birthday which made a small smile appear on my face. After the Sorting, the choir got up with large toads and began singing a quite intimidating song with the lightning in the stain glass window behind them. The song finished and there was a round of applause. They parted to show Dumbledore going up to his owl podium. He opened his arms.

"Welcome! Welcome! To another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck to you Professor."

Everyone started clapping as the man on the train stood up and nodded. Draco rolled his eyes and turned around.

"Potter! Potter!" Draco half yelled, half whispered. Harry and Ron turned around. Oh shit. Why do you do this Draco? I asked in my mind.

"Is it true you fainted?" He asked. Theo faked a faint. "I mean you actually fainted?" Everyone started laughing. Pansy's laugh was the loudest with her screech like cackling.

"Shove off Malfoy," Ron said turning Harry around. I got up from my seat next to Draco and slipped into another one next to James and his goons without a word.

"As some of you may know," Dumbledore continued. "Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!" He moved his hand towards Hagrid, who smile cheerfully. Professor McGonagall gave him a little nudge of the elbow and he stood up abruptly, knocking over glasses, as people started to clap.

"Whoo!" I yelled clapping hard.

"Finally, on a more disquieting note," Dumbledore continued once more, "at the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban." Murmurs filled the Great Hall. "Until such a time Sirius Black is captured. The Dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the ground. Now whiles I've been assured, their presence shall not disrupt our day to day activities. A word of caution, Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you, give them no reason to harm you, it is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving. " I felt as though a weight in my stomach dropped as I feared the "worst than ghost-like" creatures.

"But you know," Dumbledore lifted his index fingers to his face. "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times." He waved his hand over a candle which created the light to go out. "When only one remembers to turn on the light" He waved his hand back over the candle which caused the flame to reappear. The food appeared on the table and we all began to eat. I slowly ate my food as chatter surrounded me. This was not how I wanted to start the new school year.

. . .

The feast ended and we were sent back to our common rooms. I trudged to my room as Draco and his little dipshit gang walked by. As I entered the common room I finally heard a familiar voice.

"Hazel?" It asked. I looked up from my feet to see Astoria, taller and longer hair standing a few feet away. I smiled and walked over to her. We hugged and went up into the dormitories together.

"So you ready for another year of school?" she asked me through the closed bathroom door.

"I just hope we have a normal year this year. No stone to protect, no giant snake to kill. Heck, what am I saying? There's was a mass breakout in the most guarded prison on earth and there is a murderer on the loose. Of course it isn't going to be a normal year!" I exclaimed. She laughed and opened the door. 

"Alright, your turn."

I nodded and threw my pencil into my sketchbook. This time, I was drawing Astoria. I swung my legs over the bedside and stood up.

"That's really good you know," she said pointing to my sketchbook. "It looks just like me." I smiled and walked into the bathroom. I sighed. Today was one eventful day.