12

Bianca's POV

"What did you just say?"

My body turned to ice, paralyzed. The very act of chewing had slipped from my grasp, leaving me on the precipice of choking. My eyes were so vast; I'm sure they looked like they would pop out of my head. I was in utter disbelief at my stupidity. Me and my big mouth.

"Well, I suppose the wolf has finally emerged from its secretive den," April, my wolf companion, interjected with her signature wittiness, slicing through the dense fog of thoughts swirling in my mind.

A shift in Cane's stance caught my attention. His brows furrowed, and his scrunched nose accentuated the array of emotions on his face. Curiosity and confusion mingled in his eyes, flickering like flames in the depths of a vast, enigmatic forest.

I didn't know what to say. I could feel Cane's stare on me; It felt like it was burning a hole through my body. My eyes didn't leave the nearly empty bowl in front of me. I couldn't meet him. I didn't want to repeat what I had so idiotically let slip. Though I knew that wasn't fair, and I was going to give him an explanation, right now was not the right moment he did say it himself. I pondered for a moment; would he judge me if I did tell him? After all, If a regular wolf had rejected me, why would I be good enough for Cane? Another part of me was scared to tell him because then it would sink in that it was all real. But, on the other hand, I couldn't lie to him either; lying would only worsen the situation later.

'Tell him. He'll understand, Bianca. He is our mate; he'll never judge us or blame us. Especially for something that wasn't our fault.' April's words were reassuring, but I still couldn't look at Cane. 'I can tell you right now, the connection I feel on my own with his wolf is powerful, more powerful than whatever the fuck we had with Elijah's wolf.'

I battled with everything; what should my following words be? How or where would I even begin?

Brett's voice pierced through the heavy silence in the room, shattering the stillness. "Cool, you've eaten on a moose carcass before?" he quipped, his words hanging in the air. The weight of Cane's gaze intensified, his stare now fixated on Brett, eyes narrowed, conveying annoyance and frustration at the casual remark. The charged atmosphere hinted at an unspoken tension, enveloping the room in a veil of unease.

Cane's voice was commanding as he issued a stern order to Brett. "Leave," he commanded, his voice brooking no room for negotiation. Brett swiftly complied without uttering a single word in response, pushing the cart out of the room. The sound of the closing door concealed his departure, leaving me with a racing heart. There was no evading Cane's presence, and fleeing was futile; he possessed the strength to catch me should I attempt to escape. The realization weighed heavily on my mind, intensifying the knot of anxiety that had formed within me.

I felt the gentle pressure of his fingers as they delicately cradled my chin, a touch that sent sparks coursing through my body. I fought against the instinctive response, willing myself to remain composed and keep my head still. Yet, it seemed my body moved of its own accord, obediently following his lead. And then, with a gradual motion, he lifted my chin, allowing our gazes to lock. Initially, I attempted to avert my eyes, nervously darting them toward the ceiling to evade his piercing gaze.

"Please, look at me," he said, his voice tender and smooth, coaxing me to meet his gaze. Finally, my resistance waned, and I relented, turning my attention toward him. As my eyes locked with his, a surprising revelation unfolded before me. Instead of anger or frustration, his eyes reflected genuine concern and deep-seated compassion.

In my thoughts, an undeniable realization took hold: he was truly perfect. A sense of awe washed over me as I found myself melting under the tender grip of his touch. Never could I have fathomed the depth and intensity of the mate bond, its power permeating every fiber of my being. At that moment, a profound understanding blossomed within me, illuminating the extraordinary nature of our connection as mates and the limitless possibilities it held.