41

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 41: One Last Doppelgänger

{D. K}

       Dakota stayed there with his body, holding him close to her. The spell that Bonnie casted over him allowed Klaus to move his eyes, but knowing that he wasn't dead and just immobile didn't cut it for Dakota. She wanted to see him walking, moving and talking to her.

       "This was apart of the plan."

        "You never told me that, Damon. You made me watch, and I thought you guys were killing him."

        Damon's eyes fluttered shut, feeling guilty. He hated Klaus, but Dakota was a different story. Their relationship with one another was complicated and they did stupid things that would ruin any normal friendship, but when push came to shove and the other was in danger, they knew the other would come. "I should've told you, but I knew that if I did you would've stopped me."

        "Either way I would've tried to stop you, Damon." She retorted, guarding Klaus' body with her own like he would be taken right beneath her fingertips. "Are you going to turn him back?"

        "After Alaric is dead, yes."

        Dakota sighed, running her hand through Klaus' hair. "So what do we do until then?"

        "Put him in a casket, and hide him away so Alaric doesn't kill him." At first, Damon said it as a joke, but the longer he thought about it, he decided that the was the smartest decision.

        With much hesitation, Dakota allowed the suggestion. She followed Damon to the storage department a hundred plus miles away from Mystic Falls. If Klaus really did turn everyone's bloodline then he needed to be as far away from Mystic Falls as possible.

        Dakota rolled the shiny black casket into storage unit 1020, pulling up a old rusty chair and sitting beside it.

        "Come on, Rebekah's on her way."

        "No," She denied. "I'll stay here with him."

        Damon shrugged, not in the mood to fight with her. "Suit yourself."

         The air was thinner in the closed storage unit, but if it was open and Alaric showed up then they might as well just hand Klaus' body to him.

         Dakota wasn't sure how much time passed before her enhanced hearing picked up on the sound of someone struggling to breathe. Taking action, she lifted the door with ease, quietly rolling the Klaus clad casket towards the truck.

         "Quick, Kota." Damon grunted, Rebekah right beside him.

         Rebekah opened the trunk, only to be shoved into the black car and thrown far from Klaus. Damon sped over to Alaric, but before he could land a punch, he was kicked away.

          Dakota didn't waste any time to get over to Alaric, catching him off guard when she punched him in the jaw, sending his face in the other direction. But whatever Esther had Alaric hyped up on, allowed the vampire hunter to throw Dakota into the concrete wall with much force.

          In the time it took for the trio to recover from the harsh abuse, Alaric had opened the casket, pulling out the white oak stake from his jacket pocket.

          "No!"

          "Don't."

          Alaric plunged the stake into Klaus' chest, and a pain-filled gasp came from him as his body went up in flames. "Klaus!" Dakota screamed in agony, her voice cracking and when she attempted to run to him Damon held her in his arms. "No! No!"

          Alaric pulled the stake out, moving his attention to Rebekah who was frozen in shock, her blue eyes trained on the casket that held her dead brothers body.  "Next."

         "Rebekah, take Dakota and run. Run!"

         The original pulled Dakota with her, every piece of her being demanding her to turn around and help Klaus even though she knew that there wasn't anything that she could do.

         Dakota ran the whole way to Mystic Falls, when she stopped running and just started numbly walking down the dark pavement.

         She was all alone now, Klaus was dead, really dead this time and she had no one else to go to.

         In her pocket, her phone rang and she picked it up without even checking the caller ID. "Dakota, it's Stefan."

         "So your alive, good for you."

         "Tyler Lockwood's dead."

         "So is my boyfriend." Dakota answered bitterly. "Elijah called me a minute ago and told me that Elena and Matt should be arriving back in Mystic Falls any minute now."

         Stefan took note of the blank tone in her voice, and it worried him because of her track record that didn't exactly lack a body count. "Yeah, he told me that too. He also said that you would be leaving with him and the rest of his siblings."

         "I'm not running, Stefan."

         "What do you mean? We had a deal."

         "Klaus is dead. Deal's over." Dakota walked down the street, her eyes seeing the two bright headlights of Matt's truck that was speeding down the road. "Alaric is connected to Elena, that's the only way he'll die."

         Stefan's heart hammered against his chest. "Dakota, what are you doing?"

         "I'm solving a problem, and getting a little bit of revenge."

         The sound of an engine reached Stefan's ears through the cellphone. "Dakota, no."

         "One last doppelgänger." With that, Dakota hung up, moving herself to stand in the middle of the road. Matt was driving so fast, that when he swerved to avoid hitting her body, the car flew off the road, over Wickery Bridge and into the water below.

         Dakota didn't stick around to watch the car sink, she knew they would die.

Pulling out her phone again, Dakota called Elijah. "They're dead."

         She didn't need to see his face to see him nod his head. "I'll pick you up."

         "Don't. I'm going on my own. Don't call me again, because I won't answer."

A/N

Oh my God, guys we've hit 90k readers! I just want to say thank you so much! I never expected the book to be such a hit when I started it. In all honesty, I was a but insecure about my writing and I was worried that it wouldn't be satisfactory to my readers, but I couldn't have made it this far without you.

Upon request on another website (Quotev) I am creating another story. It's about Damon and how he falls in love with his long-lost friend.

I haven't worked out all of the details quite yet, but I will be writing a small teaser an upcoming chapter so please look out for that so I can have some feedback and take some ideas on what I could do for that story.

Thank for guys for everything! I appreciate it.

Love, Cece

P.S. Don't forget to like and comment.