Time of Angels (pt 2)

The Doctor, Amy, and I strode through the camp the soldiers had set up at the beach. It was nighttime now, and we were following Father Octavian, who was explaining some things to us. "The angel, as far as we know, is still trapped in the ship. Our mission is to get inside and neutralize it. We can't get through up top, we'd be too close to the drives. According to this," Octavian pulled out what seemed to be a handheld tracking device as we paused by a desk, "behind the cliff face, there's a network of catacombs leading right up to the temple. We can blow through the base of the cliffs, get into the entrance chamber, then make our way up."

"Oh, well that sounds fun." I remarked sarcastically. I was extremely worried about the weeping angels, and what I was about to get myself into, but there was no way I wasn't going to do it. I had already made the promise to myself. The daleks getting away last time was kind of my fault, after all, and I could never tell anyone... nor did I want to.

This was the least I could do.

"Fun, ma'am?" Father Octavian questioned me, not sensing my sarcasm. Maybe they didn't have it in the 51st century.

"Dark catacombs. So fun." I stated blandly anyway, staring out into the dark night ahead of us.

"Technically, I think it's called a Maze of the Dead." Father Octavian corrected me. I refused to close my eyes in fear, like I tended to do, and took a deep breath, staring out into the darkness. I almost forgot about that part. Almost.

"You can stop any time you like." The Doctor commented, noticing my distress. Father Octavian was called away by some soldiers, and he excused himself while the Doctor pulled out his sonic and scanned the equipment on the desk.

I refused to stop staring into the dark abyss. I did not want to think about the stupid thing I was about to do anymore, and the darkness was pretty distracting.

Amy sat up on the table. "You're letting people call you 'sir'. You never do that. So, whatever a weeping angel is, it's really bad, yeah?"

"Now that's interesting," the Doctor commented, ignoring Amy and playing with some scanner that kept beeping. "Nova, you shouldn't have gone out there." He said to me. I could feel him staring at me, but I refused to look back, practicing my not blinking on the black abyss. Maybe if I closed one eye at a time it would work better, like winking back and forth. Or maybe I could squint. Does squinting work? My eyes would probably take longer to dry up that way...

"Nova?" Amy asked me this time, cutting into my thoughts.

I suddenly snapped my head towards her, forcing myself to look away from the darkness. "Huh? What-- sorry, lost in thought." I casually recovered, moving to sit on the desk next to Amy.

Amy looked at me skeptically for a moment before the Doctor turned to her. "You're still here. Which part of 'wait in the TARDIS till I tell you it's safe' was so confusing?"

"Ooh, are you all Mister Grumpy Face today?" Amy mocked, making a fake grumpy face towards him, but the Doctor was dead serious.

"A Weeping Angel, Amy, is the deadliest, most powerful, most malevolent life form evolution has ever produced, and one is trapped inside that wreckage and I'm supposed to climb in with a screwdriver and a torch-- and assuming I survive the radiation, and the whole ship doesn't blow up in my face-- do something clever which I haven't actually thought of yet. That's my day, that's what I'm up to. Any questions?"

Amy mockingly glared at him. "Is River Song your wife?" She asked playfully, killing the Doctor's serious mood. "Because, I don't know, she's Nova's best friend, but the way she talks to you, I've never seen anyone do that. She's kinda like, you know, 'Heel, boy!' Though, there is something off about it..." Amy trailed.