Chapter 2 - The Player Just Got Pwned!

Salaam again everybody (ok, so far it's only like 2 people but whatever)! This is Chapter 2 of Confessions of a Muslim Girl and I'm very excited to introduce a new male character into this book! I'm seriously looking forward to what you guys think of him. Go easy on him, will ya? I actually kinda like him (:

Enough blabberings on my part, here you go (I wonder how many people are still reading this).

Josh: You're a cool chick to argue with. Can I have your number in case you wanna argue some more?

Noha: It's in the phone book.

Josh: But...but I don't know your name.

Noha: *nods innocently* Yeah, that's in the phone book too.

Chapter Two

The Player Just Got Pwned!

☼ Maysa Malik ☼

            The food court is like the heart of the mall. It is bustling with people. Hundreds of people are surrounding us, each doing their own thing, each with a different story.

            I smile; I love the commotion and the energy. All around us, voices are mingling together in one beautiful buzz. English, Spanish, some French, and other foreign languages all mix together to create the noisy atmosphere of the food court.

            Maybe I shouldn’t have made the polar bear comment. Oh well, it wasn’t with the intention to mock Adriana or anything. For ten minutes, Gwen chatters on while Adriana remains silent. As hard as we all try to get Adriana into the conversation, she doesn’t willingly participate. So Gwen, Noha, and I talk about elementary school memories.

            As Noha is doing one of her great impersonations of our strict principal, a group of boys come over to the table we’re sitting at. Adriana immediately brightens when a blonde-brown-haired boy approaches her and gives her a hug.

            Everything from his shoes to his sunglasses seems to say, I’m rich! Rob me! Well, the ‘rob me’ part isn’t exactly true, but if he were in the ghetto, it would be. He has an overconfident smirk on his face.

            Noha, sitting next to me, is assessing his appearance just like I am. I can see her raise her eyebrows when he turns his cocky gaze on us. If I could have read her thoughts at that moment, she would be saying, Bring it on, playa! I stifle a laugh.

            “Hi,” I say to the guy. His smirk widens and I have the sudden urge to smack it off his face.

            “Hello, pretty lady.” Ok, ew. Seriously? This guy thinks that was smooth? Judging from his expression, I can tell the answer is yes, yes he does.

            Adriana speaks up, “Heyyy Josh. What up?”

            “Oh, you know…chilling at the mall with my peeps. Checking out the foxy ladies trying to beat the heat in shorts and miniskirts. Same old, same old.” As Josh says the part about the ladies in the shorts and miniskirts, he smirks.

            Noha rolls her eyes. I am not looking at her, and I didn’t see her do it, but I have known Noha for so long. Rolling her eyes is exactly what Noha would do in a situation like this, around a guy like Josh.

            Josh talks animatedly to Adriana and Gwen for a few seconds. They both have asked him if he thinks he will win the election for class president when school starts again. He replies that he is confident that he will. He says, and I quote, “You know the babes won’t be able to resist voting for a guy like me.”

            I roll my eyes at that one and Noha taps my arm, her gaze still on Josh. I turn and look at her and she is fighting the urge to laugh, just like I am. This guy, Josh, is such a tool. He even popped his collar. Who in their right mind pops the collar of their shirt?

            Josh turns his attention to Noha and me. “You do realize it is summer right?”

            Noha raises an eyebrow, “Yes, I realize it is summer. The blazing sun outside has made that obvious. What’s your point?”

            “My point is,” Josh begins. He takes his sweet old time. What. Is. With. The. Stupid. Smirking? I though only players in really bad teen romance novels smirked every minute of the day. “Nobody covers up like that during the summer.”

            Noha smiles sweetly. “Aw Joshie, didn’t your mother teach you better than to make generalizations like that?”

            “Joshie?” He asks incredulously. “My name is Josh.”

            Taking a sip of her drink, Noha replies coolly with, “I’m sorry. I thought it would be fitting to address you with a name that matches your maturity level. My bad.”

            Josh’s friends whoop and holler and that and even Adriana and Gwen can’t stifle their laughter.

            Josh scowls. “Aye girl, don’t hate.”

            Noha rolls her eyes again. “Relax, Player. I don’t care enough about you to hate you.” I bite the inside of my mouth. This is why this girl is my best friend. She can pull off the cool, can’t-be-touched attitude with ease.

            He grins, looking cocky. “You’re a cool chick to argue with. Can I have your number in case you wanna argue some more?”

            Noha looks at him innocently. “It’s in the phone book.” Noha’s response throws Josh off his game a little. He tries to cover it up with an are-you-stupid look.

            “But I don’t know your name.” I resist the urge to say, Duh, Captain Obvious.

            Noha nods at him. “That’s in the phone book too.” Josh’s friends hoot and Gwen cracks an appreciative smile. “Come on Maysa, we gotta go. I have some more stores I want to go to.”

            Turning to Adriana and Gwen, I flash them both a smile. “Hey guys, it’s been nice but me and No- well, we have a lot of shopping to do. Nice meeting you but we gotta go, ok?”

            I nearly say Noha’s name but since she made it a point not to tell Josh, I catch myself at the last minute. Close call, too. I smile again and Noha drags me away. Which was totally unnecessary, because I don’t even want to be there.

            Behind us, I can still hear the loud laughter coming from Josh’s friends who were standing there the whole time. They were picking on him for getting rejected, and he was mumbling that the chick wasn’t even worth it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope y'all are in the best of health and faith, and that you're happy. Vote and comment if you feel like this chapter/book deserves it.

Peace,

ash