XXXII. Sonic the Hedgehog

When we got there, it looked like we were watching global warming in motion. The glaciers were sweating while I was freezing. It was like they were laughing at me as they basked in the sun. I couldn't even feel its warmth; the light winds wafting around were enough to keep me distracted from any happiness.

"Can you feel anything?" Robin asked. "It's a good thing Cyborg checked the ship before we came. I wouldn't be surprised if an Emerald was in the water."

I shook my head. "I can't feel any positive or negative energy. I can only feel myself turning into a block of ice."

"So we need to help you focus," Starfire said.

"Let's try again, Sonic," Raven said. I groaned. We had already tried searching by 'combining our power' three times. I couldn't sense anything. "But this time, sit in the warmth of the ship."

I rolled my eyes. "There is nothing here! There might be one somewhere else in the water, but there isn't one around here!"

"We can't take chances," Robin said, glaring at me. "Do it one more time."

"Fine," I snapped, climbing into the ship and rubbing my hands together. It had been a bad ride in the T-ship flying slowly in the water. I nearly decided to run above it, but if I had fallen into the water, I really would have turned into a popsicle for the sharks to munch on.

"Get ready," I heard Raven say. Her voice was muffled from the inside of the ship, but it was audible enough.

"Yeah, whatever," I muttered. The last thing I wanted at the moment was to actually find out there was an Emerald on the bottom of the sea - and being on the ship while we sailed in darkness to find it. "Ready," I yelled back to Raven.

The giant form of complete darkness started covering the sea again. At least I didn't have to look at it when that happened. It put my fears at ease a bit.

I did focus for any sign of energy. But there was nothing. There was nothing to explain the glaciers melting. It had to be the work of Slade instead. Maybe he was doing it for some peculiar reason.

A full minute passed, and I yawned. "There's nothing, Raven," I shouted. "No energy at all."

"Keep focusing," she ordered. I rested my head on my hands and relaxed. The further out the darkness got, the less I felt of anything. I could barely sense Starfire and Robin's bodies. 

"Still nothing," I sighed. "This is completely pointless. She's just-"

Suddenly, something seemed to grip me. I squeezed the arms of the chair I was on tighter and tighter, no longer needing to focus. An overwhelming fear of the water overcame me; it was as if I was drowning in my own fear. My vision was filled with bright lights, and I cried out and put my face into my hands. I didn't want to be there anymore. Being surrounded by water with the feeling of one of the fake Emeralds nearby apparently didn't sit well with me. I was almost incapacitated with the fear.

Which gave me a great idea...

"Did you find it?" Robin asked, pulling open the door. "Did you-"

I turned my face a bit and smiled. It must have been unsettling, because Robin took a step backwards. I must have still had crazy-eyes from the fear I had felt, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Oh, I found it all right," I said. "Don't look at me like that! I'm not crazy yet!"

"If you say so," Robin chuckled.

"I know how you can stop me," I said. "Easily."

Starfire frowned. "What do you mean by that? We have no reason to stop you if we are able to find these jewels before the enemy."