39. The Truth

CHAPTER – 39 (As unedited as unedited can ever be)

LOVE IS... THE TRUTH

"I love you, and because I love you; I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies." – Pietro Aretino

Day – 18  

After talking to Priscilla, I had informed my parents about the new job offer last night. Theirs was a mixed reaction. After telling me to be safe and to always keep pepper spray and a pocket knife with me, Mom had asked me whether I had told the news to Ashton. My answer in the negative had her giving me a lecture about facing my fears and being true to everyone.

I lacked guts to tell Ashton about it. I was afraid of his reaction. But, I knew that I had to tell him.

"You're going away!" These were the first words that Stephanie said the moment I opened my apartment door for her to enter.

With my eyes and mouth wide open, I tried to think of what to say to my best friend, who was looking at me with hurt and disappointment clear on her face.

"I-"

She interrupted me as she barged inside the apartment and asked, "When were you planning on telling me about it?"

Shutting the door, I faced her narrowed eyes. "Steph, I-"

"You know what, Liana, I might not be as calm, sensible, and nice as you are, but I'm your best friend! Keeping such a big news from me wasn't something I expected from you. Who will I talk to at lunch and coffee breaks? Who will I go to when I'll be emotionally drained because of the men drama in my life? Who will argue with me about watching Batman movies over chick flicks? Do you have any idea about how pathetic these last two weeks have been without you in office? I have been handling Megan, the bitch, on my own and it sucks. Office sucks without you. And this is about one year. No, you aren't going. That's it!" She ranted moving her hands frantically, while I watched her with teary eyes and a smile on my face.

I stepped towards her and embraced her in a hug, which she reluctantly returned. "I'll miss you too."

"No, you won't. You'll find some English or French or Spanish or whatever new friend. But, let me tell you, she won't be as awesome as I am. And I'll make sure you'll miss me," she said with determination, while I smiled. There was no doubt that I was going to miss her terribly. Well, not only her...

I pulled away from the hug and looked at her with dead serious eyes. "Nobody can be as awesome as you are, Steph."

"I know, right?" She smiled a teary smile at me. "When do you have to leave?"

"I have approximately twelve days, but I'm not sure as I've not received the details yet."

She nodded and wiped her liner coated eyes with a tissue. "Keeping my emotional equation aside, let me tell you how super happy I am for you. This is such an amazing opportunity. Just awesome!" she gushed while I grinned at the sudden swing in her mood. She threw her bag on the table and flopped on the couch. "I'm so going to visit you at least every two months."

I laughed at her enthusiasm, which was definitely more than mine. "I'd love that."

"Oh, and you can meet new guys. New city, new guy." Her eyes shone with excitement.

I, on the other hand, grimaced. It was better to change the topic. "Who told you about my acceptance of this offer?"

"News travels fast in our office," she stated as a matter of fact. I couldn't deny that. I recalled the time when I had broken up with Nolan after his cheating fiasco, and within a week all sorts of rumors about me not being able to keep a man 'entertained' reached my ears. Courtesy – our office's gossip queen – Megan. Not everyone was as mean as Megan though, some looked at me with pity, and some congratulated me for being free and asked me to live my life to the fullest.