6

Chapter six: Gala

10.23.1944

"Curls or no curls" Lois questioned as she took a bunch of Hermione's hair in her hand.

"Curls. But. I look-"

"Amazing so shut up and let me finish." Lois scolded.

Hermione sighed and let the girl fix her hair, after she put a diamond necklace around her neck as the finishing touch. She really didn't want to go to the Gala but she didn't want to disappoint Philip either, especially since he's been such a great friend to her.

"There you look amazing." Lois commented.

Hermione and Lois met up with
Philip in the common room, and they were about to leave when Harold called to them. He came rushing out of the boys dorm and smiled at them.

"Where's your date?" Lois questioned Harold. He blushed scarlet before answering.

"She's meeting me down at the dungeon."

Philip laughed at Harold who rolled his eyes. "Come on Hermione" Philip said softly taking her hand.

They left Gryffindor tower and headed towards the dungeons.

"You look lovely by the way," he told her as they entered Slughorn's private quarters too see the usual slug club members. She noticed that a few professors were standing around like Dumbledore, Merrythought and Dippet.

"Ah, Miss Granger and Mr. Lovegood as well," Dumbledore called as he walked up to them.

"Hello professor" Hermione greeted back.

He began to talk to Lovegood to which Hermione tuned him out. She looked around the room again too see there were a plenty of Slytherins a few Ravenclaws and a few Gryffindors. Her gaze then travelled to a man wearing complete black clothing and a very pale complexion talking to Slughorn. She then realised that he was a vampire.

Her eyes traveled farther in the room and that's when she spotted him. Tom Riddle stood brooding in the corner, with a silver goblet in hand. What shocked her was that he was utterly alone. Their eye met from the distance and she received an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of her stomach.

 Their eye met from the distance and she received an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of her stomach

"Go to him." Philip said gently looking down at her with a small sad smile.

"No-I don't want to l-"

"It's fine I'll go find Harold," Philip said before giving her one last smile before leaving.