Cheating The Deck

"I know you're dead inside, but you make me feel alive!"

I cracked my eyes open as music drifted into my ears. My hand reached out, slapping out around my dresser.

My hand hit my phone, but instead of the music turning off, the song changed. I groaned and dropped my head back onto my pillow. So it was going to be one of those days.

"Hey, a casual affair that could go anywhere, and only for tonight."

I picked my head back up, grabbing my phone and turning the music up. Well, I guess I'd just take this as a sign from some higher being and go out tonight.

Letting out a tired sigh, I pushed myself out of bed, stretching. I pocketed my phone, the music still playing out, and headed downstairs to get some breakfast.

"Turn that shit off," Jer growled. "It's too early."

"It's never too early to annoy you," I said, smirking.

"Ace," he said, narrowing his eyes at me. "Don't piss me off."

I sat down, kicking my feet up on the kitchen table, setting my phone next to them, and turning my music up even louder. Hey, I had to do something to keep myself entertained. Living in a house with three moody guys got boring after a while.

Jer was the moodiest of them. He had developed a new form of hatred for me recently, after...

No, no. Don't think about Alexis. He was gone. He had abandoned us. That wasn't my fault. I'd done what I had to in order to keep us together. I wasn't the reason he was gone.

"Hey!" I glared up as my phone was snatched off the table. Christian turned off my music and tossed my phone back to me.

"Jer was about to kill you," he informed me, moving to make himself breakfast.

I twisted in my chair to face Jer. "You know, you always say I'm the mentally fucked up one, but you're the one who wins 'most likely to be a murderer' in this house."

Jer threw a box of cereal at my head. "I wish you would shut up. If I do decide to become a murderer, you'll be my first victim."

I smacked the box to the floor. "I'm offended."

"Cut it out," Ike said, coming into the kitchen.

"Alright, party in the kitchen," I said, all of my housemates now assembled for a parade of morning bitching.

"Some of us actually have to get ready for work," Christian said, putting down a slice of bread in the toaster.

"Hey, I work. Sorry we don't all work morning shifts," I said, folding my hands behind my head.

"And now you've got no one to keep you company all day. If only you weren't such a child," Jer said, grabbing the cereal box off the floor and pouring himself a bowl.

"It's probably best. No one should leave children with Ace," Christian said.

"I'm right here, you know," I reminded.

"I'm aware. No one should leave children with you. You're manipulative," Christian said, grabbing his toast as it popped.