CVII - Trust

Hiya. :) So the updates might be a little slow right now, just because of exams, and also because I'm starting completely different classes on Thursday.

Hope you like it. ^_^

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter One Hundred & Seven

"What I would like to do, is take a strong leash, and-"

"Children, please!" Elijah called out, going between a sitting Hayley and an especially annoyed Niklaus.

Hayley had apparently gone out with Jackson and Hope, and it appeared that Dahlia had possessed some people throughout the quarter to watch and threaten the three of them. She even went as far as to use Jackson as a proxy.

"Niklaus, your ire is justified. However, Hayley is quite right," Elijah insisted. Hayley shrugged a little and gave Klaus a look that basically said 'your brother likes me more than you'. "We need to find a new strategy. Rose, if you please..."

I sighed a little, then looked to Freya. "It's a very complicated type of magic, Freya tells me that Dahlia calls it 'kenning'. It involved her possessing people and using them as proxies to watch her enemies from afar. But neither of us have ever seen it done on quite this scale."

Hayley sighed in frustration. "Awesome. So, basically every hurricane-chugging, boob-flashing tourist on Bourbon street is a potential spy.

"The good news is, I know a little bit about how her magic works," Freya said. She gestured to the tray that she had set up in front of her, which had a silver tea kettle and six tea cups full of whatever brown liquid she had created. "This tonic will at least prevent her from using any of us."

Rebekah and Freya took a cup, and I did so as well. I took a drink, seeing Elijah's wary look as I did. He still didn't completely trust Freya, especially after finding out that Dahlia had the ability to take over our bodies. Perhaps he was afraid that Dahlia had taken Freya for a split second and poisoned the drinks, and the idea really wasn't that far-fetched.

Elijah sat down at the table next to Hayley, and took a cup. Hayley and Klaus seemed a little more reluctant.

"Well, come on! This should work like a charm!" Rebekah said.

Hayley took a cup too, while Klaus didn't.

"Bottoms up!" Rebekah said, then took a drink while the five of us did the same.

Elijah held out the sixth cup to Klaus on a saucer, who simply stared at it. Elijah sighed in annoyance. "Niklaus, is there something you wish to contribute?"

Klaus shrugged, a smirk playing on his lips. "I prefer biscuits with my tea."

Elijah rolled his eyes. "Of course."

"Besides, our minds are far too strong to be invaded by 'kenning' spells," Klaus insisted, searching for any reason not to drink what Freya had made. I rolled my eyes at him, mimicking Elijah's previous action. "So what we experienced was a test. Dahlia is watching to see how we respond to aggression. She's preparing for battle. My guess is sooner, rather than later."

"Well, if she was watching us, she would know what we have our own army," Hayley said.

"She also knows where we are," Elijah muttered. "And, given the immense nature of her power, we simply have no idea what to expect from her. What we need is to create a new stronghold, something that Dahlia knows nothing about, a sanctuary from any witchcraft."