Chapter 4- Road to Winterfell

Jon Snow's POV
The day after, Ygritte insisted on starting our walk to Winterfell. She had said she didn't believe I wasn't just going to run off in the night. I insisted we bring Ghost. She knew where he was before I did so we went back to the farmers house. There, Ghost was waiting for us. Why was he waiting? How did he know to wait? I brushed it off and we went on our way. I roughly knew where I was so I was able to find the correct direction. Winterfell is slightly south west of the Castle Black. Most of the day was filled with her complaining and finding all of the ways my life has plummeted without her. I groaned and a few times turned around to glare at her. She would just roll her eyes and continue. Once night came, we found a scarce amount of food. The fire we made was small and we slept until dawn. I woke up with her head resting on my chest. I wasn't sure what to do..perhaps put my arms around her or just leave her be. Maybe even shrug her off and get up. Before I could decide she opened her eyes and stared up at me. "What're Ya Tryin t' do??" "What're you talking about?? I woke up like this." "Yah like I believe that. That's another thing you haven't gotten from me for a long time Eh? Startin to feel sore Jon Snow?" I growled at her and pushed her off of me. I stood up and covered the fire remnants with snow and dirt. We set back on our way until we reached a road. Everyday went on the same. If we didn't make conversation shed either complain or ask about Westeros. She seemed curious enough. It wasn't all that bad. I had missed her. I'd. rather her whine about every thing than aim an arrow at my heart.

Ygritte's POV
We've been walking for days. In the North we'd already be where we had to. But no we had to travel on this civilized road. Why is that required? Im not allowed to take a different route? This is stupid. I hope Winterfell is all he makes it out t be. If it ain't im gonna be livid frikin pissed. He's mentioned the cripple a few times. I think he'll be just fine. But the others all seem to be southerners. Annoying southerners. No doubt they'll hate me and want to lock me up right when I arrive. Im willing to fight any of them off.
While walkin on this boring ass road there's nothing to do but look at Jon Snow. I make fun out of pissin him off. I like my man mad. Hope he's my man again. I can call him that. Don't southerners introduce people? How will he introduce me? A wildlin? A northerner? Free folk? Or as his girlfriend? I sort of hope he mentions I am from north of the wall but I want him to say that I am his. To everyone at his home. That would mean somethin to me. I know how much home means to the southerners. Im eager to get there. I anticipate as much as he's told me. He sounds like he's exaggerating but I hope he's not. Huge towers and a huge castle. He said it's warm and happy there. Snow always falls. If I have to be south of the wall I might as well be in their North anyway. I don't trust my clan anymore. They know I've spared Jon Snow multiple times. But if I hadn't they wouldn't have been able to pass the wall. The escaped the dead because of me. No other crow would've shown us any mercy.

Jon Snow's POV
Ygritte keeps watchin me. It's very unnerving. I try to explain everything she asks me about. Usually it has to do with my family. She seemed surprised i hadnt seen them in so long. Yet another thing for her to insult the Night's Watch for. After days and endless days of traveling we finally reach the gates of Winterfell. Before we were even in reach, she saw the castle. She seemed very surprised. I was too but not for the same reason. I had heard the Boltons had destroyed the place. Bran must rule. He must've had everything fixed up. It looks untouched and normal. It's nice to go home to something and forget about war. There doesn't seem to be any trace. That is until I walk through the entrance. I quickly learned how many townsfolk of Winterfell had died during the war. The Greyjoys and Boltons corrupted the North. Everyone seemed happy, and very protective of their home. They immediately stopped us and asked who Ygritte was. I can understand the fear they have, but they won't let me bring Ygritte here. They wouldn't have trust in her and I doubt they'd let me explain. She isn't the type of girl to wait in a cell whilst I do explain either. I introduce her quickly as my girlfriend from the North and nothing more. I avoid the wall completely. The citizens of Winterfell that remained and the allies that returned all seemed happy to see me. I wouldn't have thought so but apparently even a bastard is important now. Stark blood is very important here. I hadn't heard of all the deaths but i quickly noticed who had survived and who hadn't. The only thing that didn't need to be renovated were the crypts. Im glad. Our ancestors should remain untouched if even our people had to be murdered. Very quickly I was overcome with sorrow. Remembering the days as a child here, growing up with Robb. My father was here for me. He shared the same love for me as he did for his other children. I even miss Catelyn. Id take her disapproving look any day over this.
Eventually we were escorted inside the castle. I wanted to see my family. Sansa saw me first. She looked different. She was a woman. She seemed more fierce in her eyes but still delicate hearted. I heard Bran had returned and captured Ramsey Snow. He had beheaded him for what he had done to Sansa. I knew the idea of it and I don't think I want to know the details. I can already tell just by looking at her. She's changed. She's grateful for everything she has. Id take a bratty Sansa any day if she didn't have to go through that. She didn't notice Ygritte at first. Once she did, she saw her watching us. Ygritte was looking at everything and paying close attention to Sansa, keeping quiet. I introduced her the same, but noted she's from North of the Wall. Sansa didn't seem to fear Ygritte. Maybe she trusts me enough. Sansa ended up bringing me to Arya who walked over with a man around my age. I could already sense what this meant and I didn't like it. Ygritte seemed to sense it to but said nothing. She just snorted. Arya hugged me and smiled solemnly. She introduced the man as Gendry. Bastard of Robert Baratheon. Maybe he isn't that bad, but he sure is much older than she. Arya immediately took a liking to Ygritte and the room loosened up a bit. Happiness set in at reunions and they began talking about wild things, mainly violence. I walked off to find my brothers. I found Rickon first. Trailing behind him was a blonde girl with greyscale on her face. Id find her familiar if it weren't for the unmistakable grey scale. She stayed with Stannis during his time at Castle Black. Shireen. Ygritte walked up behind us with Arya and seemed to feel cocky and more comfortable now. She made a snarky comment immediately when she saw Shireen. "You fuckin im or somethin? Your watchin him like he's your prey." She smirks. Shireen blushes and half hides behind Rickon. I couldn't even reprimand Ygritte for her rude behavior. Rickon sure isn't a child anymore. He's a teenager. Tall. He seemed to have been forced out of his childhood but you could see the kid still left in him. Lastly all that was left of my family, brought me to the hall where Bran was. Apparently he was dealing with any issues citizens may have. According to Arya, the people loved him and had great faith in him. The lowest of the low climbed to the top. Him and I. Before I could walk in the room I was blocked by a girl in leather and furs. She had curly dark brown hair and dark brown eyes. She glared at me. "What do Ya want?" Ygritte answered before I could. "We're here to see his brother." She definitely had an edge to her tone. I don't have a good feelin about these two.. "Meera. Do you have to fight with every wildling you meet?" Meera glanced at Rickon, then her eyes flicked back to Ygritte. "Of course." She looked to me. "You're Jon Snow. Sorry I hadn't recognized you. I only saw Ya once im not exactly blessed with green sight." She stepped aside but walked with us inside. Inside, was the girl I was told about. Osha. Hodor was playing with his hands and standing behind her and Bran. It definitely was Bran I could see it in his face. But he was very much older. He was a young man. Meera walked to his side and announced to the men walking in that Bran would finish attending to Everyone later. Bran didn't seem pleased until he saw us. He froze and just stared at me. I saw him mouth "jon."  I walked over to him and Osha helped him up best she could. Meera and Osha held him up. I haven't seen him since before his fall.. It was hard seeing him crippled. He couldn't walk. He couldn't climb. I wouldn't doubt his sadness for it all. I hugged him and he did his best to hug me back. "I tried to see you. But I couldn't.. The 3 eyed raven.." "You did the right thing Bran. I told you you would see him again." "What's the 3 eyes raven?" "He taught me more about..well.." "Brans a warg." Meera explained. a warg... My brother is a warg.. Since when? I asked Meera and she said he always had been. "He has the green sight too. The 3 eyed raven helped him perfect and strengthen these traits. He always was more powerful than the rest. He's the most powerful warg in the world." Bran looked down. He didn't seem to like the idea that Meera was blurting everything out at once. She seemed to jump at it quickly. Tense. Summer suddenly bolted into the room with Shaggydog. Both direwolves reunited with their little brother. Ghost ended up rough housing with them and a maid nearby watched carefully not enjoying the ruckus. I smiled and looked back to Bran. He grimaced. "You've done well here Bran." "As have you. Lord Commander, that's a big deal!" "Thanks." I smile. "This is Ygritte. She's a wildling. Just like Osha." They looked at each other. Hopefully their clans aren't rivals.. "She's my girlfriend." Awkward silence. "Is this your girlfriend?" I motion to Meera. He blushes darkly and stutters. Everyone laughs. "Yah seems so!" Arya remarks. "Well anyone can see that." Ygritte snapped. "Look how protective she is of 'im." She is right. "She's obsessed with the boy." I snicker and look at Ygritte. "It's true you know it Jon Snow." Bran looks very flustered. Ygritte seemed to like him best though. So everything went well. Bran doesn't seem like the type to go locking up wildlings. I notice that Meera hadn't said anything for a while. Perhaps they really were together.
Later on we ended up having a feast to welcome Ygritte and I. It was nice to sit with my family again, but no one could ignore the 3 empty spaces.