Chapter Thirty Five

Judith stared at all the spirits standing around, some of them so much closer than she had expected, all of them still whispering.

"I...I can't understand you all." she told them. "I...I don't understand." she pointed to her ears.

Suddenly, they all fell silent.

"Can someone tell me what's going on here? Please?"

Some of the spirits began to part and all of a sudden, she saw Fred.

"Fred!" she sighed in relief.

"Judith...how are you in Limbo?!" he asked frantically. "What happened are you-"

"I'm not dead if that's what you're thinking, unless I died in my sleep."

His expression turned grim, as Judith looked around. "I think...I think this is what happens to my brother when he sleeps. This must be how he communicates with spirits. It's like some sort of spiritual projection. It's really freaking me out. I can't understand what everyone was whispering."

"Haven't you noticed who these people are, Judith?"

She shook her head.

"These are all people that were killed by you-know-who." Fred told her. "Throughout his lifetime..."

Judith looked all around her. "I didn't realize..." she shook her head and closed her eyes.

"I know it's a lot to handle, Judith. But all these spirits have been looking all over for your brother, but his spirit is nowhere in sight."

Judith opened her eyes. "So that means he must still be in his body....the Dark Lord hasn't been able to kick him out of his own body yet. Finally, Nathaniel's stubbornness is being put to use!" she clapped her hands. "Well, good use that is."

She brought herself to look at the faces of those who had lost their life directly to the Dark Lord, the majority of them, she didn't recognize, but there were two that seemed oddly familiar.

"Are those..." she pointed at the two.

"Harry's parents? Yeah."

"Why can't I understand everyone here? All I can hear is whispering." she said.

"I don't know. I was just surprised to see you here. Thank you for the mini-heart attack, I know I can't die again, but you don't have to try and scare me to death."

"It's not like I was planning on coming here, Fred. I literally just went to bed a few minutes ago. Next thing I know, I'm surrounded by white and whispering...then everyone showed up out of nowhere like a very weird and awkward surprise party."

Fred smirked and looked around. "I don't know what to tell you, Judith. They obviously want to talk to you, but I don't think they can. Maybe you have to open yourself up somehow so they can speak to you."

"How do I do that?"

Fred shrugged. "I don't know."

"Alright, well maybe this is something I need to talk to my grandmother about this..."

Fred nodded. "It's strange though, isn't it?"

"What is?" she asked.

"The fact that you can do both."Fred told her. "You can do what your grandmother and brother can do."

"Strange is an understatement, Fred. Have you seen Renna around here at all?"

"No, I was actually keeping an eye out for her as well. She's nowhere around here."

Judith frowned. "Maybe, she really just doesn't want to talk to me."

"Don't talk like that Judith. I'm sure she does, and she will."

George walked into the room when Judith awoke with a start, startling him to nearly fall back out of the room.

"Don't do that!" he said clutching his chest.

"Sorry." she said looking around to see Fred beside her. "I just...I need to talk to my grandmother." 

"Now?" George asked.

"Yes, it's very important-"

"Judith, it's really really late. You need to sleep. You can go talk to her in the morning."

"But-"

"What happened? Is something wrong?"

"I...I went to Limbo with Fred and-"

She watched as George turned on the light, his face pale. "You did what?"

"It wasn't intentional, I was just there. I found myself surrounded by all the people, you know who killed."

"Oh." She could tell that he was unsure of how to respond to that statement.

"They were all trying to say something at once but I couldn't understand them. I need to figure out how. I'm afraid if I fall asleep now, I'll just end up back there."

George sat down on his bed and scooted back, before motioning her to come over to him. Judith scooted back and leaned into him, slowly resting her head on his shoulder.

"If you need me to wake you up, I will. But I really think you should get some sleep." he yawned.

"I think you need sleep." she chuckled.

"You both need to go to sleep so I can have some peace and quiet." Fred muttered.

Judith looked over at him with a playful glare, before nuzzling back into George's side.

"First thing in the morning, we'll go see your grandmother and we'll try to figure this all out. I'll help you out however I can."

"Thank you, George." Judith smiled before closing her eyes. She could hear his heart beat, at first it was thumping wildly in his chest, but eventually slowed to an even tempo.

The steady beat allowed Judith to enter a peaceful sleep.

Fred looked to the sleeping two. 

"Finally."