Chapter Three

~•-------------------•~
in•trigue
verb
fascinate
~•-------------------•~

Dallon felt interested in Kaitlyn's daily life. He didn't know why, but he hoped that Kaitlyn took morning classes just like he did so that he could go and visit her after lectures.

Dallon's hopes were temporarily let down when he went to Kaitlyn's dorm and her roommate appeared. "Can I help you?" She asked him with a puzzled tone of voice.

"Is Kaitlyn here? I'd like to chat with her." Dallon had his hands behind his back to decrease any sign of hostility in his body language.

"Kaitlyn? Are you sure?" The roommate looked at Dallon as if he were a lost child. "Kaitlyn Lawrence?"

Dallon didn't exactly know Kaitlyn's last name, but he just nodded anyway.

Kaitlyn's roommate sighed and turned around to face the couch in which Kaitlyn was sitting. "It's for you," she said and walked away from the door.

When she came to the door, Kaitlyn was surprised to see Dallon's miraculous face there.

"Hi," Dallon said. "I was wondering if you'd want to go out with me?"

Kaitlyn looked shocked and confused. She was both literally and metaphorically speechless. They hadn't met very long ago.

"That's not what I meant," Dallon said in response to Kaitlyn's wide eyes, mentally smacking himself. "I meant, maybe, out for coffee? Not on a date, or anything. Not that I wouldn't go on a date with you, you're a beautiful girl. I mean, I'm not flirting with you or anything." Dallon paused and decided to stop himself before he made the conversation any more embarrassing.

Kaitlyn nodded and followed Dallon outside. She had just left a class not long ago, so she was still decently dressed for anything.

They went to a coffee shop that was off-campus. It was small and posh, but looked pretty high quality. Kaitlyn decided she didn't want anything, so Dallon found a table for them both to sit at.

"So, I want to get to know you," Dallon said. "I mean, I don't know how, but I just-" Dallon paused for a minute, knowing his words probably wouldn't make sense. "How about I talk about myself first?" Dallon didn't wait for Kaitlyn's response. "So, my name is Dallon Weekes, and I was born in Missouri. When I was young, my family moved to Salt Lake City in Utah, and they raised me there. I came to Ithaca for education and a good start. Also, I heard the food was fantastic here. So far, Ithaca hasn't let me down.

"I like pizza and Dr. Pepper. Although, Italian soups are also my kind of thing.

"I was born into a mormon family, but I'm not too religious anymore. I haven't abandoned my religion, though."

Kaitlyn was interested in Dallon too. She didn't know exactly what it was. Maybe it was the fact that he was being so nice to her. Maybe it was the fact that he was actually willing to get to know her despite her insufficient reciprocation. But if he really wanted to know anything, he'd just have to wait until the semester was over.

Dallon looked down at his hands. His heart was broken for Kaitlyn and he felt pathetic. He had no idea what to do, but he had an urge to know her. "I have an idea," he said.

Kaitlyn perked up and looked at Dallon.

"We can trade numbers, and then we can chat via text. That way, I can get to know you too." Kaitlyn smiled gladly and then waited for Dallon to hand her a small slip of paper with digits on it. Unfortunately, Dallon was waiting for Kaitlyn to do the same. "You don't have any paper, do you?"

Kaitlyn simply shook her head, and then Dallon laughed just a little bit. "How about I take us back to the dorms, and we can find paper there?"

There was no reason for Kaitlyn not to agree.

•••••

Before Dallon left Kaitlyn's dorm, Kaitlyn took the same Sharpie that she had written her name on Dallon's arm with the day before and wrote her number down on the palm of Dallon's left hand. She smiled a little as she wrote, noticing the remnants of her name still showing just slightly.

"So, has it become a thing between us to write on eachother's limbs?"

That was the first time Dallon had ever heard Kaitlyn's laugh. It was short, but blissful. Joyful. He'd had no idea why someone would voluntarily choose to hide a symphonic voice as hers.

Dallon wrote his number down on the back of Kaitlyn's right hand. Afterward, he got up, smiling gleefully at Kaitlyn. "I'll see you whenever," he said before he left happily.