Chapter Thirty Eight (Five Years Forward)

Five Year Time Jump

"Aster and Raine stop that!" I yell over to my two five year old daughters who are running around the house and making a mess of things. "You two are going to break something."

"Sorry mommy." Aster says with a pouty face, hoping to get on my good side. I have to say, the face gets me every time. Raine on the other hand, she rolls her eyes and huffs as she plops herself down at the kitchen table.

Of course, she got the attitude from me. And the stubbornness. Peeta jokes about it all the time, because she looks like me and has my personality.

"What's your problem, missy?" Peeta says to Raine jokingly as he walks into the kitchen, only a towel around his waist.

He pats Raine on the back and sits down next to her.

"It's a big day today, you three!" Peeta says, and Jay finally looks up from his sketchpad.

Peeta and I bought Jay a sketchpad for the triplets' fifth birthday. Immediately, Jay thrived in drawing. For only five years old, he definitely colors and draws better than most children. His little drawings are hung up all over our home.

Raine took an interest in hunting. Her swiftness and concentration is something that anyone can recognize about her. I remember the night that she pleaded that I take her hunting with me. It was a few months back, right before she turned five. She knew that I would bring dinner home after my days hunting, and she also knew that Gale's daughter, Posy had gone hunting with him. Of course, I gave in. I'd never let her even touch a bow, let alone shoot one at this age. She would come and watch closely. I'd tell her all about how hunting was all I did as a young girl. Even though she doesn't understand, I tell her about my childhood. How I didn't have food, and hunting was my lifeline. I'd never dare mention the games. Not now.

Aster is my girly girl. She'd rather dress up in a dress than go outside. Peeta insists that she got that from me, but I know that she got it from Prim. And it makes me so happy. It's like I have a little piece of her with me.

Even though Aster is girly, she's not afraid to get some flour on her. As long as I can remember, all she's wanted to do is bake with Peeta. She once tried to make a "cake" in the microwave with some flour and milk. Peeta, being the softie he is, ate it.

"Okay, Peeta you're going to have to help me." I say as I spill sugar all over the kitchen.

"Trying to make breakfast, are we?" Peeta whispers into my ear as he nips at it.

I sigh, and he wraps his arms around me. "I'm just kidding, I love you." He whispers.

I sit down at the table across from the triplets as they all babble on to each other. Today is their first day of school, and I can't help but be terrified.

"We have to go in a few minutes." Peeta says as he sets three bowls of cereal in front of them. I guess my pancakes didn't work out very well.

+++

Peeta and I stand at the front gate of the school as we watch the triplets walk in. I can't help but she'd a few tears—okay, a lot.

I never really thought about getting this far. After Dahlia, I didn't think we'd have children. I feel as if I'm fulfilled, and I'm doing something right in my life.

"Can you believe it?" Peeta asks as he gives me a squeeze; almost like he's reading my mind.

"We're doing alright, Peeta.." I whisper as I clench his hand. "We're doing alright."

___
Authors note:
Time jump!! Yay! Sorry for the short chapter, I promised one tonight so I had to shorten it ! Xoxo
Also; read my book "life after mockingjay" I update more and it is very good in my opinion ❤️