05.

Chapter Five

Unsurprisingly to anyone, Annie's favourite subject was Herbology.

She'd grown up in the outdoors, spending all her free time in her greenhouses. Her father had set the greenhouses up years ago, when he'd been determined to start having their family live self-sufficiently. They had three greenhouses at home; two devoted to fruits and vegetables and normal plants, and one for magical plants.

She'd been in love with plants before the greenhouses had even been built. Her interest had been sparked when her father would take her for walks in the country, and would always point out different flowers and trees and together, they'd study them. Annie would return with mud all over her shoes, dirt smudged across her nose and her hands filthy, but she'd be grinning from ear to ear that her mother couldn't find the heart to be irritated as she got mud over the newly-cleaned floors.

When Annie was six, the greenhouses has been built. And from the time she was seven, Annie's father had been teaching her how to grow and tend to plants. And two years later, after excessive begging on Annie's behalf, her mother had agreed to set up a greenhouse filled with plants such as Flutterby Bushes, Puffapods, Flitterblooms, and others. Not all plants were pretty, but they were so interesting it made up for their lack of beauty.

Her mother, Colette, had never been fond of the outdoors and getting her hands dirty, so a year later Annie took up the responsibility of looking after every plant in the greenhouse. Not a day had gone by when it felt like a chore.

She'd fallen in love with plants just as much as her father. The smell of earth calmed her, and working on plants made her smile. Just walking into the greenhouse and inhaling the different scents made her feel at ease. She'd spend all day in them if she could, and have her lessons moved out there.

That was why Annie loved Herbology so much. Stepping into those greenhouses made it feel like she was back home. It was as though Hogwarts and the Carrows were miles away. The smell of earth was always welcome and made Annie feel grounded and, for once, in control.

When she'd asked Professor Sprout for permission to visit the greenhouses after lessons, the Hufflepuff Head of House had smiled fondly and said yes, but only for Greenhouse One. 

"I know you can handle yourself, but heaven forbid I should endure Madam Pomfrey's wrath if you were injured!" she laughed.

Luna enjoyed accompanying her. While Luna had more on an interest in magical creatures, she would never say no to a trip to the greenhouses.

The Flutterfly bushes was untidy, so Annie decided to give them a quick prune - and change their soil too. With a smile on her face Annie set to work, looking at the bushes as though they were old and very dear friends.

"I like seeing you surrounded by plants, Annie," Luna mused. "You look less worried. Your smile suits you."

"Better than the scowl I wear around the Carrows," Annie laughed. She poked her tongue out and clipped a section of leaves away, suddenly immersed in her work.

For her laugh and concentration was but a cover up, for the way Luna made Annie's inside turn to jelly, and for blush to spread across her entire face.

Having spent so many years isolated thanks to homeschooling, Annie had never truly had a best friend. She had interacted with nearby Muggle children, but her mother had discouraged too much interaction with them.

Annie wondered if such feelings were normal if someone was your best friend. This was her first time being so close to someone and being able to open up to them so easily - being with Luna was as easy as breathing.

Luna smiled. "The Carrows will be the ones scowling soon."

Annie gasped, and almost clipped off more of the Flutterby Bush than she'd been intending to. With a small shriek Annie jumped back and assessed the plant to assure she'd caused no damage.

Behind her, Luna giggled. When Annie calmed herself and turned, Luna was watching her, eyes wide and glowing.

"How's it been, organising a DA meeting?" Annie asked.

She wished she had a coin, so she didn't have to rely on everyone got news - she desperately wanted to know what was going on then and there.

"Everyone fortunately remains in possession of their Galleons," Luna reported. "It's been decided to meet up on Saturday, when classes are over and we have more time to meet and plan without arising suspicion."

"Where will you be meeting?"

Annie couldn't imagine any room in the school were so many people from different Houses could meet without suspicion rising.

"The Room of Requirement." When Annie furrowed her eyebrows Luna elaborated, "It's a Room on the seventh floor that will only open if the seeker has a real need for it."

Annie's eyes widened,

"Brilliant," she breathed. 'If Snape and the Carrows weren't here I think I'd rather enjoy Hogwarts... There. I think I'm done, don't you?"

Annie stepped back and admired her handiwork. All the Flutterby bushes were neat.

Luna stepped closer. She pushed her hair behind her ears and leaned in toward the plant. "It's wonderfully done. You really are gifted, Annie."

Annie felt her cheeks begin to warm.

"Not really," she said hastily. "I've just been surrounded by plants my entire life. They bring me comfort... Its like seeing a little bit of home every day."

She glanced fondly at the plants, and then at Luna. Luna was smiling at her, so brightly it was as though she'd discovered concrete evidence that the Crumple-Horned Snorkack existed. Annie's breath was momentarily taken away as she was transfixed by Luna's smile.

Plants couldn't grow without sunshine, and Annie was sure she'd shrivel up and die if Luna's smile hadn't constantly been brightening her day.