Chapter 94

"Is it true?"

The shrill question startled Sumer Singh. Halting his agitated pacing in the grand living room, he looked petulantly at the most annoying woman he had the misfortune to meet. Kadambari's inflated expression told him she had learnt of the latest developments.

"What?" he asked obdurately.

"That girl has followed Prithvi to this town?" Kadambari asked angrily.

"She didn't follow him," Sumer Singh snapped. "It was a coincidence that she arrived here with Mrs Bhargava."

Kadambari snorted and viewed him scornfully. "I'm not a fool! She was afraid Prithvi would escape her influence. And that is why she found a way to accompany that respected writer and has come here. She wants to ensnare him again by using sugary words and fake emotions," she deduced cynically. "The girl is cunning and -."

"Enough! I won't tolerate another word against Nandini," Sumer Singh stated furiously, "And I'll give you an important piece of advice. Don't criticise Nandini in front of Prithvi if you want to remain in his good books. He will - " he stopped and turned quizzically.

Prithvi was entering the room, whistling cheerfully. The prince caught his eye and winked. 

Then he looked at Kadambari, and from across the room, called out, "I can smell my favourite dessert. It better not be my imagination," he warned with a grin while heading towards the stairway.

Astonishment didn't let her respond, and she watched dumbly as he resumed his whistling and strode up the steps to the upper storey.

He was still so young... her adored child was going to turn just twenty years old next week...

It wasn't new knowledge. And yet, it had struck her forcefully when she had seen him strolling into the house. She couldn't put her finger on the reason behind the epiphany. What she did know was that something had changed drastically.

A delighted Sumer Singh haughtily informed her, "That is how he looks when he is happy."

*****************************

Prithvi knocked lightly on the door and waited for a minute before stepping into the room. He walked to the giant bed and looked keenly at the old, frail figure in the light of the bedside lamp.

Uday Singh stirred awake as his great-nephew sat beside him.

He had come straight to his room to rest on returning to the bungalow. Dinner too had been sent to his room because he was too drained to get up. The day's exertions had taken their toll.

"Dead or dying?" Prithvi enquired.

Uday chuckled woozily. "Neither. Have to cuddle the children," he rambled.

"Have to what?" Prithvi asked, frowning.

Growing more alert, Uday gruffly clarified, "Don't pay attention.... have a habit of blabbering in my sleep. Tell me about Nandini. You're glad she's here, aren't you? I thought it would be the best advance gift for your birthday," he confided tiredly.

Prithvi stilled in astonishment. His birthday....he'd forgotten it was close at hand...

For the first time in remembered history, that worthless day would be of some use to him.

"Does she know it's my birthday next week?" he quickly asked Uday.

"I was going to tell her, but then -"