Chapter 31: The Call

Claire's POV

"Claire? Are you ready?" Keith said, seated across from me.

I shook my head.

"No" I said, staring at the phone that was about to change my life

"Well too bad, you're calling him". Keith took the phone from the center of the table and dialed a number, than he handed the phone to me, with an encouraging smile on his face.

"Coward" I whispered under my breath, taking the phone. But of course he heard me, and had to defend himself.

"I'm not a coward, I just have good sense of self preservation"

I glared at him, and took multiple deep breaths. Not only to calm my nerves, but also to stop myself from slapping that smile off his face.

Without waiting a second longer, I hit call.

Bring!

Please don't pick up...

Bring! Bring!

Don't pick up, don't pick up

Bri---

"Hello?" said a deep voice, that sent a shiver straight through my body. I was so shocked I couldn't speak, all I could do was stare at the phone.

Oh John

"Hello?!" the voice growled, this time getting impatient

I can't believe this is happening

"Is this some type of jo-"

"Hey, John" I whispered through the phone

"Claire?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John's POV

My heart stopped, Everything just stopped.

Is this real?

"Yeah John, it's me"

Tons of different emotions hit me all at once. I was relieved, then happy, then confused, then angry, but the one I stuck with was relief.

"Where are you? Are you okay, are you hurt?" I closed my eyes and leaned against the door frame of the bedroom I was staying in.

"I'm okay, I was able to save myself." A shot to the heart would have hurt a lot less then those words. I'm not worthy of her, I know that, but it doesn't change the fact that she is mine, and I will never let her go. I'm selfish like that.

"Tell me where you are, Claire."

"Um. I don't exactly know where I am, but--"

"Then give the phone to someone who does" I turn back into the room, and start packing everything back in a Duffle bag . I quickly communicate to all my men that we are leaving in 30 minutes, and focus back onto the phone.

"John can you please wait, everyth--"

"Wait?! You want me to wait" I growled into the phone, "I am done waiting. Give the phone to someone who can fuckin' tell me, where the hell you are!" I banged the wall hard in frustration with my fist, driving my point across. I was angry, and I wouldn't stop being angry until she was by my side again.
****************************************************************************

Claire's POV

Arggg!! He won't listen to me! Why the H does he have to be so beaver damn bossy all the time!

I glared angrily at my brother for putting me in this position. "You know what John, I give up. My brother can deal with you, I'm out."

I aggressively handed the phone to my brother, and stormed out of the office.

That didn't go the way I had imagined it would. Why is he so impatient for? I'm not really important, I'm just his best friend...
"He is spending all of this unnecessary time looking for me, when he should be looking for his mate!" I ranted to myself. I debated whether I should stay in the house to find out what was going to happen with John, or just go for a walk. I chose to walk.

"One thing I know for sure is I'm not going back home. Zachary will find me if I do...This is the only place where I know that I'm am safe."

"Hey Claire! Wait up" I turned to see Henry jogging towards me. He seemed to be coming from the best and only bakery in this town, which was owned by one of the few people who talked to me without fear or judgement in her eyes, and her name is Heather.

Heather is funny, smart, beautiful and extremely talented. I was completely surprise to find out that she is the same age as me. She's 19 and already has her own business! It turns out that, Heather's family was very wealthy and left her some money before they died in the rogue war. She used that money to buy all the appliances she needed to make her bakery dream come true.

Like me, Heather doesn't remember her parents, she was young when they died, practically still a baby. But because she is so smart, she was able to finish high school when she was 16, by doing all her courses online, graduated from culinary school the following year, and has now dedicated her life to helping out the pack and making amazingly delicious goodies.

I really like Heather. Something else I was able to find out, was that she had the biggest crush on Henry but like most guys he was oblivious.

"Hey" I said, when he caught up to me, falling into step beside me. I tried to sound happy, but just ended up sounding depressed.

"I'm guessing from your tone that the call didn't go that well."

"No, it didn't." I sighed

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asked me soothingly

I looked up to him and shrugged my shoulders, "there isn't much to say, like always John acts before he thinks, all he cares about is bringing me back home, he didn't even ask me how I was or what happened, and I'm just upset I guess." I went to kick a rock to really deliver my point, but I ended up tripping on my feet.

"Aahh!" I squeezed bracing myself for impact but thankfully Henry caught me just in time, placing me back onto my feet.

"Thank you" I smiled up at him, "you saved my dignity"

"Anytime" He said, returning my smile.

We continued to walk on in comfortable silence, when suddenly Henry came to a stop.

"What's wrong?" I asked him, noticing the frown on his face, he looked a bit angry.

"we have to go back, your brother has called a meeting about the prince."

"About John?! Why?"

Then Henry looked at me with such a pained expression in his eyes, like he had just lost something that meant the world to him.

"Because, he'll be here in the next two days." Henry said darkly. I placed my hand on his arm lightly, "why does this upset you."

"Because.." He looked deeply into my eyes, like he was trying to tell me something, but for the life of me I couldn't figure it out. "...It means I lost"

With that, he broke eye contact and turned around, heading back the way we came, leaving me to trail slowly after him, deep in thought about what had just happened and what was about to happen