43

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 43: Be Alright

{D. K}

Dakota advanced towards Elena in a hostile manner, wrapping her fingers around Elena's neck as she held her fledgling body against the ugly yellow paint that was chipping. "If you're joking, I will kill you."

"Will you finish the job this time?" Elena said strained, as her face turned purple from lack of air, a vein her her forehead protruding.

Damon took action, pulling Dakota off of Elena with urgency as he realizing that this time, Dakota would indeed finish the job and maybe go a bit overboard. "Let's tone it down a notch, okay?" Dakota kept her heated glare on Elena, who was gasping for breath, her hands rubbing her own neck to soothe the ache that throbbed profusely. "Dakota, if I let you go, will you attempt to kill her again?"

"Yes."

He nodded his head, tightening his grip on Dakota's waist. She was pressed against his front, his arms wrapped around her waist in the most platonic way possible. "Honesty is good. Honesty starts friendships."

           Dakota struggled against Damon's strong arms. "She's the reason why Klaus is gone. Now she comes back from the dead and says my boyfriend somehow is alive. That's not funny, it's impossible."

           Elena rested her hands on her hips after tucking a lock of her straight hair behind her ear. "Listen to the words that just came out of your mouth. I came back from the dead. What makes you think that Klaus couldn't have either?"

           Tears that Dakota had been supressing with booze and blood surfaced, coming up to the surface like a tsunami. Her cheeks grew red from struggling against Damon, before she stopped and allowed the tears to spill over. "Because, unlike you, when my boyfriend was stabbed with the weapon created to kill him, he stayed dead. There is no way to bring him back."

           "As much as I'd like to agree with you and say that he is gone for good, it's not true. Klaus, he found a loophole. He put himself into Tyler's body while he was being killed in his own body."

           The more Dakota listened, the more hope filled her chest. Part of her said that she was stupid, that there was no way that Elena was telling the truth. But the other half screamed in protest, reminding her that Klaus was a thousand year old hybrid and if he wanted to stay alive, he would do so no matter what it took.

           After a long pause, a weight lifted itself off of Dakota's shoulders and at the sudden release of tension, Damon let her go. "I have to go back," Dakota declared, a smile working its way in her pink cheeks. "—I need to go see him. Right now!"