Chapter 18:

"Momma, why you and daddy shout?" Ethan released me from the embrace.

Neither my brain nor my mouth could produce a word. How could I answer the question? Sorry darling, you are not as lucky as other children are. You can't have normal parents who live together.

I could recall my conversation with Ethan the night he found out about his father.

I silently sneaked into his room to check if he had slept. The lights were dimly lit, but they were enough to provide the view of my darling who was tossing left and right in his sleep. Or, so I thought.

Taking a seat on his bed, I brushed my fingers through his hair, murmuring, "Couldn't sleep?"

He jerked open his eyes, startled. "You scare me!" With the support of his elbows, he leaned on the pillow and rubbed his eyes to get rid of the traces of sleep. He was so adorable. Many female hearts were going to break in future. But I'd make sure that he would not turn out like his father. Common, we need some good guys to keep our society clean.

"Why didn't you sleep till now?"

"Thinking about daddy." My heart had stopped merely for a second before it resumed beating again. Though my heart was beating, the speed was very abnormal. Really fast. I never wanted to face the day where my son questions about his father. But it eventually has to come and it had come.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath to confront the questioning eyes that burned my face for unknown answers. Releasing my breath, I opened my eyes slowly and said, "What are you thinking?"

"I am thinking, why you said nothing about daddy."

Oh boy, I was happy looking at Samuel's shocked face. But now? I am feeling crap. That idiot has put me in yet another difficult situation. "What do you want to know about daddy?"

"Why he don't live with us?" He knitted his eyebrows together. Moonlight fell on his face from the window, situated on the adjacent wall, making his frown more clear.

To answer your question son, I need to think a 100 years.What should I say a 4-year-old who asked about his dad and his whereabouts. "Be-because, he has another family."

"Another family means?"

Does he deserve to know about his unloving father? The father who denied him. I'd not reveal the exact truth but could at least suppress his hopes. The hopes he might develop. The hopes where he'd play with his father. Stay with him and grow up with him. Then there's Alice. Will she even let Ethan to wander around Samuel, once she discovers the truth? Oh, but she has to. After all, Samuel is not so heartless to ignore his son. Will Ethan understand the inner turmoil that is eating me up?

'He is a smart kid, Sofia', he will understand. Just say. Just say.

Okay. "He l-loves another woman and lives with h-h-her." My voice shuttered and I looked other way to hide my tears from his eyes.

I waited for another question to pop up. But, it never made its presence. In confusion, I turned to look at my son who was snuggled into his sheets already. How long did I zone out? Well, at least, I escaped further questions. The answers to which would have shattered his little heart.

"Mommy, what happen?" Ethan gently placed his little hand on my cheek, rubbing in circling motions to squeeze the tension out of my body.

I studied his questioning gaze and smiled inwardly at his care. "Nothing baby..." I said softly, almost a whisper. I eliminated the bits of that unfortunate night lingering in my thoughts.

Managing a small smile, I asked, "Umm...who want the chocolates that Antonio brings?" Hopefully, this would release the burden on his little brain.