The Cat Lady and the Wolf

Zelda put on her coat and then got out of the car. She zipped it up as she grabbed her flashlight and slammed the door behind her.

"Stupid cat," Zelda muttered as she looked down at her phone. According to the GPS chip embedded in her little trouble maker, Sheikah was hiding in the woods. "How did you even get this far?" she said with a sigh and then walked into the trees, trying to keep to the shadowy path. "If I didn't love you so much..."

As she followed the fluctuating dot on her phone screen she shivered. The end of summer was upon her, and the air was starting to feel a little crisp.

She was graduated and lived on her own with her cats. Four of them. They were amazing. She wasn't quite a crazy cat lady...not yet. Sheikah was only a small kitten, barely old enough to be away from her mother, and yet she had managed to slip away into the night with the other cats.

Zelda stopped and looked around. Unless her directional skills were completely off, her kitten should be just ahead.

She flicked her flashlight around and she gasped as two large eyes reflected the beam. They were definitely not kitten eyes. The first thing that popped into her head was that her kitten had been eaten and that she might be next.

Instead of doing the proper thing and running away, Zelda pulled out her pocket knife and flipped opened the spring assisted blade with a snap. "Did you eat my kitten!?" she demanded of the anonymous eyes. They vanished, and Zelda hesitated for a moment.

A meow resounded in front of her, a little to the left of the large eyes. She let out a momentary sigh of relief as she darted forward and laid eyes on the adorable white kitten.

Then her flashlight and eyes flicked to where the other thing was hiding, and she nearly dropped her flashlight. It was a wolf.

Sheikah meowed again and padded over to the big dog. Zelda held out her hand after her and said "No Sheik, come back here!" She watched with horror as the wolf lowered its head to be on level with the kitten, she feared that it would swallow her friend in one bite. Her horror quickly turned to confusion and wonder as the wolf snuggled its muzzle against the kitten.

Her jaw dropped as Sheikah started to purr. "No way..." Zelda said in disbelief.

The wolf raised its head, leaving Sheikah to rub against the wolf's legs. It looked at her, squinting slightly in the light of the flashlight, and tilted its head to the side.

She swallowed and lowered the beam slightly. "Um... Thanks for not eating my cat," she said softly.

The wolf nodded.

Zelda's brows knit together in confusion. Did it just... Reply? "She snuck out and I found her using a GPS chip... And... Uh..." What the heck was she saying. And what the heck was a wolf doing in these woods? Maybe it was just a husky... That looked exactly like a wolf...

The wolf growled softly, but it didn't sound menacing.

The kitten started to mew excitedly, over and over as she wrapped herself around and around the wolf's leg. Circling it and rubbing against it as she chatted exuberantly for what seemed like minutes.

The wolf nodded and then lowered its head, nudging the kitten back towards Zelda.

Sheikah grudgingly turned and strode back to her, jumping up into her waiting arms. "Why'd you run off?" Zelda asked softly. "I was worried..."

There was a russle in the underbrush, and she glanced up only to see the wolf's tail disappear.

>^^<