Chapter Ten

What was happening to me, I had no idea. Whatever it was I hoped it would stop soon. I felt somebody lift my head and place it on their lap. I soon realised that person was Astrid.

"Coach!" Astrid screamed, finally catching his attention. I heard the Coach's heavy footsteps as he ran over. Astrid ran her hands through my hair. If I wasn't in so much pain, I might have actually found it relaxing.

Somebody else knelt next to me. I heard Astrid ask, "Flynn, what are you doing?" But Flynn ignored her, opening my mouth and pouring a clear liquid down my throat.

It was cool, soothing the dryness. I soon sat up, coughing, spluttering everywhere. The pain disappeared immediately. I lifted my shirt to see no mark left behind.

I exhaled, staring at Flynn in surprise. He walked off before I could even thank him.

I fell backwards as somebody launched at me, hugging me tightly. It was Astrid. I hesitated as I wrapped my arms around her.

"You're OK!" She whispered in my ear. She pulled back, grabbing my head and surveying it at every angle. I ignored the stares that over students were giving me.

I only didn't know what was happening to me ... I needed to tell someone ... but who?

Astrid stood and helped me to my feet. She brought her fist up and punched me across the shoulder. "Don't ever do that again." She glared but smiled.

I rubbed my shoulder and grinned. "You really think I was planning to?" I was joking of course. Hopefully the pain won't come back ... ever.

"All right you lazy lot, back to dodge ball!" Surprisingly the Coach let me take a breath, you know, to get my breathing back to normal.

I coughed frequently. That drink that Flynn had given me had left an awful after test. I coughed again as I reached for my water bottle.

Astrid came over and sat beside me. "How're you doing?"

"Fine," I spluttered. "Just, tired, I guess." The pain had worn me out, yet again. "Don't you wanna get back?" I asked, gesturing to the game of dodge ball that was occurring.

The odd sound of the piercing whistle made me jump. "Nah, I'd prefer to stay with you to be honest."

I looked taken aback. "You sure?"

"Positive," Astrid said as she moved closer, placing her head on my shoulder. I leaned back.

"OK then, you're the boss." And we just sat there peacefully, watching the games of dodge ball. As soon as the bell rang, we sprinted out the gym before the Coach could make us do any work.

"See you in a min!" Astrid said, disappearing into the girls' changing rooms. I watched her until she was out of sight before going into the boys' changing rooms.

I met Astrid out in the hall who walked with me to Mr Lee's class. We had him for two hours. After that we could go home.

I groaned miserably as I pushed the door open to the class. Mr Lee was already sat at his desk, glaring at the students who were already seated.

"Fun!" I muttered as I walked over to my seat. I wasn't going to face this alone, I had Astrid next to me. The problem was, she hated Mr Lee more than I did. That's saying something.

"Haddock!" Mr Lee shouted, before I even got to my seat. I hesitated, spinning on my feet.

"Yes, Sir?" I asked, a slight edge in my voice. He pissed me off so much.

"I want you sitting at the front, where I can see you."

My jaw clenched. "Why? I'm perfectly fine sitting at the back."

"That was an order Haddock. Move. Now!"

I glanced behind me at Astrid. She just nodded at me as she sat down. I faced my teacher again, huffing as I plopped myself down into an empty seat.

I glared at him from under my eye lids. I heard his footsteps walk around the room before he stopped. I turned to see Mr Lee's back facing me.

Then I realised who he was glaring at. Astrid. I spun back to stare at the board. I craned my head, hoping to see what he had to say to Astrid.

I wondered what they were talking about because at that moment Astrid got up and stormed out the classroom.

"Detention!" Mr Lee called after her.

"Whatever!" I heard Astrid yell. I sent daggers over to Mr Lee. I got up, hurrying over to the door.

"Haddock! Where are you going?"

I ignored him. What ever was wrong with Astrid, I knew she'd want me to be there with her. I started to run down the hall. "Astrid? Astrid!"

I turned a corner and stopped abruptly. I saw a quick glimpse of Astrid's body entering an empty classroom. I walked in after her.

I found Astrid slumped against the wall, her arms crossed. "Hey," I said. She didn't even acknowledge me. I went over and grabbed her arms roughly but gently. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Astrid snapped. "I'm fine." She pulled out of my grip, staring to head towards the door. I grabbed her hand and pulled. Astrid spun around and her body slammed against mine, her palms against my chest.

This is a moment I have been dreaming for. Well, not like this but you get my point. Astrid's warm breath hit my face, making my body numb with nerves.

My breathing quickened but I stood my ground. "I'm gonna get it out of you," I whispered, leaning closer,"one way or another." Astrid stared at me, gradually moving away. I let her hand go.

"Okay ... "

Instead of leaving, Astrid stayed, waiting for me to ask her questions ...